Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Windows Port please?

Ali Malik
2005-03-01
2013-04-11
  • Ali Malik
    Ali Malik
    2005-03-01

Hi,
    I have seen some reviews for screem and used it a little bit on a friends PC. Is there going to be a win32 port? I think this will help screem gather a lot of attention and other developers and plus it'll help me get a good Open Source web IDE :D.

• David A Knight
      David A Knight
      2005-03-08

a win32 port is unlikely unless/until the required gnome libraries work on win32.

• Do you know which libraries don´t run in Windows. I have running glade on windows and can make gnome settings.

Another idea could be a cygwin port.

• David A Knight
        David A Knight
        2005-12-29

Things like libgnome, libgnomeui, libbonobo, gconf etc.  The port of evolution to win32 is sorting all these things out.

The pieces are possibly all in place to get most functionality working, but they aren't packaged in a nice way to install so I never get around to doing it.

• Of course thats why more developers should switch to GNU/Linux.

• Ryan Hayle
      Ryan Hayle
      2006-02-22

How about we get all of the Screem developers to commit to a bit fat "NO" on this issue.  When someone ported Gaim to win32, it was a nightmare for the Gaim developers to have to support all of those Windows idiots who didn't know what they were doing, and it will have a similar effect on Screem.  As Alexandro said, if people want to use Screem, they should switch to Linux (or another Unix-clone that can run GNOME).  Windows ports are bad for software in general.  Thanks.