Seg fault on startup ... help please

Help
tjuii
2004-03-03
2013-06-03
  • tjuii
    tjuii
    2004-03-03

I just installed the latest version of Scigraphica (with GTK+extra and Numerical Python).  Upon starting scigraphica I got a
    splash screen and then the following error box popped up.

Segmentation fault

Project sucessfully saved to
    "/usr/local/scigraphica/scigraphica-0.8.0/#rescue#untitled.sg"

Scigraphica then failed to open.  This was also accompanied by the following error at the command line:

$ scigraphica

GnomeUI-WARNING **: Could not open help topics file NULL
    Segmentation fault

$

Upon trying to run scigraphica again ... and again, I get the same messages, but the scigraphica window opens and shows an
    icon in the Worksheets tab labeled Data01 before the error occurs.

I noticed other people have reported having this problem on the "bugs" page, but I haven't seen anyone post a solution.  If anyone knows how to fix this and get scigraphica to run, please let me know.  Thanks

I am running Fedora Core 1 Linux on a P4 3.2GHz 800 MHz FSB with 2GB RAM.  I am using KDE for my front-end.

• Anonymous
      2004-04-21

I am having exactly the same problem.
      Using RedHat 9.0.

Rex

• guenter
      guenter
      2005-02-26

same problem here! (mandrake 10.1 official).
      anybody found a solution yet?
      greetings, g

• Leodp
      Leodp
      2005-03-11

Have you tried with something like:

export PYTHONHOME=/usr/lib/python2.3/

before running scigraphica (look change the name if you have python2.2 or something else)
      It was mentioned here:
      https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=892861&group_id=5462&atid=105462
      I had the same probl. on mdk 9.2, and now seems to be ok.
      Leo

• Leodp
      Leodp
      2005-03-11

No, it doesn't really solve, it just postpones the crash.

Leo

• I don't know what is meant with "latest" version, but I had the problem that sg-2.1.0 segfaulted if there was an existing .scigraphica config direcory with contents from sg-0.8.0. After deleting the $HOME/.scigraphica directory the program starts, alas without menus, but that is another topic.