the configure script of scigraphica is broken in many aspects.
1. /* This is not a shell comment. */
2. If you let the user provide the directories via the --with-python-numeric-path (which is very good), why do you ignore that option and try to find the right one yourself?
3. don't use "echo". There is AC_MSG_CHECKING.
4. don't use "echo -n". This doesn't work on many systems.
5. on my system, I have two files called arrayobject.h under $python_numeric_path. This results in various error messages.
6. please try to run ./configure --quiet. If that command outputs anything, you have done something wrong.
7. please remove the section that tries to eliminate duplicate compiler flags. They can be useful in some cases. And -- more important -- you have big problems when one of the compiler options contains white-space. Just try it out what will happen.
8. Why do you define scigraphica_prefix? This has many subtle side-effects. To get a robust configure script, you should stick to the directories provided by autoconf.
9. Don't include $COMPILER_FLAGS in the VERSION_INFO macro. They may contain "quotes" or \backslashes, which confuses the C compiler.