Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Having trouble with latest release on JDK 1.5

Toby Thain
2010-09-24
2013-05-03
  • Toby Thain
    Toby Thain
    2010-09-24

Hi,
    On both Linux and OS X, the Scm editor would not open when running Eclipse in Java 1.5 - version mismatch in class file. I was able to get this to work on Linux by switching to Java 1.6, but 1.6 is not available for PowerPC OS X. (I tried SoyLatte's build of OpenJDK 1.7 but that did not allow the editor to open either).

Is there any way to run SchemeWay under Java 1.5?

-Toby

• Hi Toby,

SchemeScript does not depend on any Java 1.6 specific features, so yes, it's possible to run it under Java 1.5. To do that, you'll have to grab the source from github, recompile it using the JDK 1.5, and export the update site. If you need help, let me know.

Dominique

• Toby Thain
    Toby Thain
    2010-09-24

Hi Dominique
    I was able to check out the 1.2.15 stable src and build with no problem. However I have been unable to figure out how to export the update site, can you give me a quick cheat sheet, thankyou!

• Toby,

I just noticed that version 1.2.15 does not provide an Eclipse project for building the update site. Why don't you try to install the latest version? The real reason that it's still in the alpha stage is essentially the lack of documentation. Otherwise, it is (to my knowledge) as stable as the 1.2.15 release.

If you still want to stick with that version, simply export the project as a plugin (in the Explorer view, right-click on the project and select "Export…") and put the resulting jar file in your Eclipse plugins directory.

• Toby Thain
    Toby Thain
    2010-09-25

I am clearly out of my depth here. I checked out alpha10 OK, but since it is three projects-in-one (plugin, feature, update site) I don't know how to build it (it isn't recognised as a particular project type).
    Thanks for any more assistance if you still have patience:)

• That's because you don't have the appropriate set of plugins installed. You need the plugin development environment (PDE). It is available in the Eclipse for RCP & RAP Developers.

To save you some time and effort, I just uploaded an update site for SchemeScript 1.3.0 alpha 11 for use with the JDK1.5. Just look here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/schemeway/files/

If you have any problem, let me know.

Cheers

• Toby Thain
    Toby Thain
    2010-09-25

No, I have the PDE installed & was able to build 1.2.15 with no trouble. But its project structure is a simple plugin, while the alpha10 structure is quite different. Given that I have PDE, and it works for the simple plugin, is there any easy set of steps to building & exporting the alpha10 version?
    In the meantime I will try your build, thanks!

• The easy step is to open the file "site.xml" in the SchemeScript-Update-Site project. Given that you have the PDE installed, this should open a structured editor for the Update Site Map. You just have to click on the "Build All" button. Once the update site is built, add the schemey/update-site directory as a local update site.

• Toby Thain
    Toby Thain
    2010-09-25

UpdateSite-1.3.0.alpha11-jdk1.5.zip does not work on my JDK 1.5 system  - I still see the same error when opening a .scm file:

java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:676)

• Toby Thain
    Toby Thain
    2010-09-25

OK I will try your suggestion in #8. Thanks!

• Toby Thain
    Toby Thain
    2010-09-25

Eureka! I see my mistake. It is necessary to use the "Import Existing Projects" option when Importing from git. Then I get the three distinct SchemeScript, SchemeScript-Feature, and SchemeScript-Update-Site projects.

• Regarding #9,  I haven't tested it on a JDK 1.5 system (I only have 1.4. and 1.6 on my machine right now), although I used the 1.5 compiler in Eclipse. Seems like that didn't work as I expected. I will remove the file from the download section. Sorry about that.

• Toby Thain
    Toby Thain
    2010-09-25

No problem! I am very grateful for the excellent support you've given.

In fact, with my insight above, I am now able to build Update Site, and export to directory and archive, and it installs and runs perfectly on my 1.5 system. Thankyou!

My archive: http://telegraphics.com.au/~toby/schemescript-updatesite-1.3.0.alpha10-jdk1.5.zip