Embedding Kawa in Eclipse/remote REPL

2011-01-24
2013-05-03
  • Konrad Schwarz
    Konrad Schwarz
    2011-01-24

I'm a newbie, so bear with me.

I understand SchemeWay embeds Kawa, so you can send expressions to the embedded interpreter.

I understand SchemeWay supports attaching to an external interpreter.
    However, it seems that the External Interpreter feature wants to start the external interpreter process.

Kawa supports a Telnet interface with the -server command line option.

What I would like to do is start a subsidiary Eclipse process with an embedded Kawa interpreter, start that interpreter using the -server option (by calling kawa.repl.main in the activate method of an OSGi Bundle?) and have SchemeWay connect to that port.

My goal would be to type in code to the top-level Eclipse and execute it on the subsidiary Eclipse (which happens to be an EMF-based project).

What would be required to get this to work?

Or should I be running the REPL and SchemeWay on the subsidiary Eclipse and edit my source files there?

• Konrad Schwarz
    Konrad Schwarz
    2011-01-24

I overlooked the "remote Scheme interpreter" feature in the previous post.  Can this be used to hook up to Kawa -server (e.g., does it support the Telnet protocol)?

If this is true, do you have a suggestion for starting the KAWA REPL in server mode during Eclipse start-up?

• Hi Konrad,

The "remote Scheme interpreter" indeed supports the Telnet protocol. The problem, however, is to start the Kawa REPL in server mode at Eclipse start-up. The activate method of an OSGi bundle cannot block or start new threads (I think). So you may have to resort to a manual step on the server side before connecting with the remote (client) Eclipse.

You could even write your own Telnet-based REPL server instead of using the Kawa one. That's really not difficult to do. (I may have some code that does that, somewhere. Let me check.)

Dominique