Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Output all tables in compact mode?

Help
Anonymous
2011-07-19
2013-05-29

• Anonymous
    2011-07-19

Hi.

I'm using the diagrams generated by schemaSpy in some documentation I'm writing.  Some of the tables are quite large, and get referenced all over the place so they're in a lot of the relational diagrams for other tables.  This often makes the images very tall and unwieldly.  Is there a way to make it so that *all* tables appear in "compact" mode like some do on the overview page?  Thanks!

• John Currier
    John Currier
    2011-07-28

The only issue with implementing something like that is it would double the number of detailed diagrams generated from two per table to four.  That could have a significant impact on how long it takes to generate everything, so it would need to become optional.  Additional optional portions keep increasing complexity, so I'm a bit hesitant to include this.

• Anonymous
    2011-08-01

I understand.  I was hoping there was maybe some little-documented flag or something I could set to get the results I'm looking for.  Isn't it possible to specify settings for individual tables in XML?  It's really only a couple of tables that I'd really like to shrink so they don't take up so much room.

(btw schemaSpy is still an awesome tool despite this small shortcoming I encountered)

• John Currier
    John Currier
    2011-08-03

Currently only the main table plus tables that are directly connected to it show their columns.  As you move away from the main table you lose detail. 

It should be possible to have an option to reduce the detail in those tables that are directed connected, but I have no clue what to call the option.  Any ideas?

John

• Anonymous
    2011-08-04

Maybe something like "condense", but I think it needs to be clear how it's changing the existing behavior.

• John Currier
    John Currier
    2011-08-05

The only change is that it would hide non-key / non-index columns from the tables that are directly connected to the detail table, right?

• Anonymous
    2011-08-08

Yes that is correct.

• John Currier
    John Currier
    2011-08-08

Can you try the latest beta?  I'm making the assumption that switching to the behavior you've described is the best approach overall.  It greatly cleaned up some of the diagrams that I've been playing with.

Thanks,
    John

• Anonymous
    2011-08-09

Just tried it and it works great.  That's exactly what I was looking for.  Will this version be made available on the general release page?

• John Currier
    John Currier
    2011-08-09

Eventually…once I get off my butt and do an official release.