Privacy of custom rules

2012-10-03
2012-10-06
  • jorge costa
    jorge costa
    2012-10-03

Hi,
    Notice that some of our custom rules are sent to the server, the problem with this is that those rules have the name of the company in the key information. This i think goes against the anonymous police that you have on the plugin.

One way to solve would be to filter custom rules created in company since those do not have real value to use as benchamark.

Thanks in advance
    Jorge Costa

Last edit: jorge costa 2012-10-03
  • Hello,

I agree with you. Unfortunately there is no way to know if a rule is a personnal rule or a common rule from a tool like pmd, findbugs, checkstyle...

Regards,
    Sébastien Carreau

• jorge costa
    jorge costa
    2012-10-05

From what i see there is no real value on sending custom rules or reviews to the server. It just puts more bias into the system. Default rules shared by all users are likely the only ones that matter.

Having said this, what you think about maintaining a black list of words or a exclude filter in the configuration, where patterns can be defined by users. The plugin will than search for any of those patterns in the analyse data and skip any rules/profiles/whatever he finds?

I think this way you can indeed say that everything is anonymous?

Thanks and Regards
    Jorge Costa

• Sylvain Leroy
    Sylvain Leroy
    2012-10-06

This idea is indeed interesting. I created a ticket around this feature. We will definitely plan this feature for our new release. The new milestone should fall in the week of 5th-12th november.

Thanks for the feedback.