New Bug and Fix: Repeat Eval in GlobalParam

Help
2004-12-08
2012-10-08
  • Between Saxon 7.6 and Saxon 8.1.1 a new bug has emerged. This one is rather subtle but I think it is clearly a bug. Saxon evaluates param expressions repeatedly, when it should only evaluate them once. Here is an example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <xsl:transform version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:sys="java:java.lang.System" xmlns:ps="java:java.io.PrintStream">

<xsl:param name="stream" select="(ps:println(sys:err(),'param evaluated'),sys:err())[last()]"/>

<xsl:template match="/">
    <xsl:value-of select="ps:println($stream,'pong 1')"/>
    <xsl:value-of select="ps:println($stream,'pong 2')"/>
    </xsl:template>

</xsl:transform>

The output should be

param evaluated
    pong 1
    pong 2

as it happens with saxon 7.6. But with saxon 8.1.1 it is:

param evaluated
    pong 1
    param evaluated
    pong 2

Interrestingly this happens only with global parameters, not with local parameters nor with local or global variables. So, I expect this bug sits somewhere in the instruct/GlobalParam.java ...

And BINGO here is the bug:

You say:

if (wasSupplied) {
            return b.getGlobalVariableValue(this);
        } else {
            // This is the first reference to a global variable; try to evaluate it now.

where you never check whether you already have it evaluated. Change this code to

Value v = b.getGlobalVariableValue(this);

if (wasSupplied || v != null) {
            return v;
        } else {
            // This is the first reference to a global variable; try to evaluate it now.

and everything will be fine again.

I'll reply to your recent mail soon. If I reply by email, will it get to the email list that you named even if I'm not signed up?

regards,
    -Gunther

• Michael Kay
      Michael Kay
      2004-12-08

Thanks. It's not actually a conformance issue - processors are allowed to evaluate variables repeatedly, and if doing so calls extension functions that have side effects, so be it - however, it's a coding error and I will fix it.

Michael Kay