Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Managing files by date... (removing old)

2009-05-01
2013-02-19
  • Pat Niemeyer
    Pat Niemeyer
    2009-05-01

Hi,

I am using s3cmd in a simple nightly backup and I'd like to find an easy way to insure that I don't keep more than N archives on S3.  I see that when I list the bucket they currently appear in date order and I could script something against that.  However it makes me nervous since I see no guarantee that that order will be maintained.

I realize that I could use the sync strategy and more easily maintain the files by date locally (e.g. find -mtime +) but I'd prefer to stay a bit more hands-off.

So, my questions are:

1) Is the ordering of files by date in the listing guaranteed to stay that way?

2) If not #1, could we get an ls -t option or equivalent?

3) Is there some trivial way I can list files on S3 older than a certain date?

4) Should I shut up about this and submit code for this myself? :)

thanks,
    Pat

• Michal Ludvig
      Michal Ludvig
      2009-05-04

Hi Pat,

1) Bucket listing is ordered by file names. If your file names include timestamp the listing will be also ordered by date, but that's just a side effect.

2) Quite possibly. Or better something like --sort-by={name,date,size}

3) Nope.

4) Please :-) Since this is nowhere near the top of my priority list you'd have to wait a while before it gets implemented.

On the other hand - why don't you simply parse the 's3cmd ls' output to find out the filenames that are older than a given timestamp? Parsing a date into, say, unix timestamp is trivial. Let me know if you need any help with that.