Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

problem with s3cmd and gpg encryption?

NET
2009-02-11
2013-02-19
  • NET
    NET
    2009-02-11

When I tried to turn on gpg encryption, encryption to s3 seems to work fine, but fetching/decryption fails.  What ends up happening is there is are two files, an intermittent, encrypted file and the final file name which is 0 byte length.  If I manually run gpg on the cmdline with the right key it will do the right thing.  Why is s3cmd bailing on its call to gpg?  How can I debug this?

• Michal Ludvig
      Michal Ludvig
      2009-02-11

What s3cmd and Python versions do you use? There was a bug with 0.9.9-pre5 and earlier running under Python 2.6 that may have caused this behaviour. Please upgrade to 0.9.9-rc3 and let me know if you still experience problems.

Michal

• This happened to me on Fedora Core 8 using s3cmd from the s3cmd repos.  It also now happens to me using the s3cmd that comes with debian lenny:

$ s3cmd --version
      s3cmd version 0.9.8.3

The problem is NOT that gpg is not working -- it is.  When I issue s3cmd get with a previously encrypted file, the file is downloaded from S3 with the same file name.  Then gpg goes to work decrypting to a file with a random hash appended to the file.  This file is properly decrypted.  What fails is that the properly decrypted file does not then overwrite the originally downloaded, still encrypted file. 

• Michal Ludvig
        Michal Ludvig
        2009-06-06

Is it still happening in 0.9.9? If not - are there any errors reported?

s3cmd 0.9.9 should work just fine in FC8 - simply download the tarball, unpack and run. No installation needed.

Michal