s3cmd include option doesn't work

Prakash
2014-03-28
2014-04-04
  • Prakash
    Prakash
    2014-03-28

I'm running the following s3cmd:

./s3cmd put --dry-run --include '*.xml' --server-side-encryption --recursive ~/import/acnj/ s3://syus/production/import/acnj/

I'm expecting only xml files to match this, but I'm seeing all the files being included:

upload: /home/ec2-user/import/acnj/2010-12/acnj.csv -> s3://syus/production/import/acnj/2010-12/acnj.csv

upload: /home/ec2-user/import/acnj/2010-12/acnj.xml -> s3://syus/production/import/acnj/2010-12/acnj.xml

upload: /home/ec2-user/import/acnj/2011-01/acnj.csv -> s3://syus/production/import/acnj/2011-01/acnj.csv

upload: /home/ec2-user/import/acnj/2011-01/acnj.xml -> s3://syus/production/import/acnj/2011-01/acnj.xml

Am I missing something? I even tried the --include-from option and added *.xml to a file with the same result.

Thank you.

Prakash

• Matt Domsch
    Matt Domsch
    2014-04-04

With current upstream github.com/s3tools/s3cmd master branch, this works if you also add a --exclude * argument. Excludes and includes are processed as thus: All files are included by default. If a file is excluded, exclude it. Then if an --include overrides the exclude, include it back again.

Therefore, if you don't exclude anything, the --include will do nothing.

You can explicitly exclude directories on sync local2remote by appending a '/' to the pattern. --exclude home/foo/bar/to-exclude/ will thus not upload anything at the to-exclude/ directory or its children.