cannot compile

Help
mctiew
2006-11-12
2013-05-21
  • mctiew
    mctiew
    2006-11-12

I downloaded Wive.src.nleiten.0.5.5.tar.gz and the toolchain, when I run the make as a normal user, I get this error :-

mips-uclibc-ld -shared -o libpcap.so.`cat VERSION` pcap-linux.o fad-gifc.o pcap.o inet.o gencode.o optimize.o nametoaddr.o etherent.o savefile.o bpf_filter.o bpf_image.o bpf_dump.o  scanner.o grammar.o version.o
    /usr/bin/install -c libpcap.so.`cat VERSION` ./filesystem/lib/libpcap.so.`cat VERSION`
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mctiew3/Wive.src.nleiten.0.5.5/APP/libpcap-0.9.3'
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/mctiew3/Wive.src.nleiten.0.5.5/APP/ipcad-3.7'/usr/bin/install -c ipcad ./filesystem/bin
    /usr/bin/install: cannot change permissions of `/usr/local/etc': Operation not permitted
    make[2]: *** [install-conf] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/mctiew3/Wive.src.nleiten.0.5.5/APP/ipcad-3.7'
    make[1]: *** [install] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/mctiew3/Wive.src.nleiten.0.5.5/APP'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

Any pointers ?

• mctiew
      mctiew
      2006-11-13

OK I 'su' to root, and also created a symbolic link to /usr/local/gcc333, and created two directories /mnt/ram and /mnt/smb, the whole thing finally finished compiling.

Now after obtaining the binary, how do I flash the device ?
      Is there any pointers to how to flash the device ?

Thanks in advance.

• Dr. Morg
      Dr. Morg
      2006-11-15

To flash your firmware you need to turn power off then press Reset button and not unpress Reset turn power on.

After 5-10 sec unpress Reset.

Now it's possible to put firmware to your device using tftp client.
      If you use Windows,- open console window and type:
      >tftp -i 192.168.1.6 PUT root.bin

When transfer of this file is complite wait for 15-20 sec then type:

>tftp -i 192.168.1.6 PUT linux.bin

And wait while your device restart and boot with new firmware.

After boot device available for telnet or SSH on 192.168.0.50.
      Default login: root
      Default password: rtl8186

If you use Linux open you tftp client and type:
      ~# connect 192.168.1.6
      ~# binary
      ~# put root.bin
      ~# put linux.bin

• mctiew
      mctiew
      2006-11-16

OK I am using a linux and I was able to do the tftp.
      But my question is what do i do after putting linux.bin ?

Will it automatically get into restart and boot new firmware or will I have to cycle power ?
      If at all it will automatically restart and boot new firmware,
      how long it takes? I waited for something and still could not
      telnet or ssh.

Btw, I have emailed you the pictures. If you don't get them, I will send them again.

• Dr. Morg
        Dr. Morg
        2006-11-16

After linux.bin was accepted by device it will automatically get into restart and boot new firmware.
        Yu can PING 192.168.0.50 to indicate when the device will up.

• mctiew
      mctiew
      2006-11-16

I was using your compiled files (root.bin, linux.bin ) from 0.5.7. Should I use the one I compiled from the source ?

Regards.

• Dr. Morg
        Dr. Morg
        2006-11-16

If you use our Wive 0.5.7 firmware you don't need to upload you own build firmware.
        If you prefer to use your own build firmware,- you don't need to upload Wive 0.5.7 or anything else.

• mctiew
      mctiew
      2006-11-16

I think I probably screwed my device now because I don't seem to see that it is getting into reboot after flashing the firmware.

I have tried flashing it a few times, in all cases, there don't seem to be any problem with tftp. All completed gracefully. In one instance I actually waited quite sometime before I do the ping ( and of course I changed by Linux's interface to be the same network before pinging it ). All without any success.

Is there a way for a serial console to be connected to it ? If I make a JTAG cable, would I be able to see the console output ?

Regards.

• Dr. Morg
        Dr. Morg
        2006-11-21

It looks like you have an other typoe of the flash and is needed to modify firmware for correct work with your flash type.
        Now for restor your device you can upload with tftp original Aztech firmware binnary file.

If you know how,- you can modify firmware yourself.

• mctiew
      mctiew
      2006-11-22

Do you think it is safe to tftp original Aztech firmware ? I have not tried it because I worry that the format of firmware via http upgrade and tftp upgrade might be different.

Worse case, even if the upgrade of original firmware via tftp is not working, as long as I don't loose the tftp capability, I am still OK.

Thanks.

• mctiew
      mctiew
      2006-11-22

I flashed the original firmware using tftp, it is still not working ( it does not even go into reboot after tftp completes, ie it seems to stay at tftp forever ).

However if I flash the firmware based on boot.bin and linux.bin  ( wive ), it seems that after flashing linux.bin, it will reboot itself into normal mode.

There is something in the custom firmware which triggers it to reboot after tftp completes ?

• Dr. Morg
        Dr. Morg
        2006-11-26

As I've already wrote,- there are different kind of flash chips.
        Your's device has 29LV160CBTC-90G flash chip, and ours devices have 29LV160BBTC-90 flash chip.
        You can find datasheets on http://www.alldatasheet.com.
        After that - look wive sources and find how it depends on kind of flash chip.
        So, after that you'll be able to add support of your flash chip, compile and flash your own firmware.

It looks like bootloader stil works great,- tftp server approvement of it.

It looks like your device doesn't have a JTAG header on the board, so, if you need to use JTAG you will need to solder JTAG signals directly to RTL8186 pins.

Also, it look like COM port on the board with already soldered 4-pin header.
        Try to find out signals on this header.
        And if it will really COM port - you'll be able to monitor in terminal programm flashing process and you'll be able to define why device doesn't boot.