Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Need help in rtf2xml

Help
sunny1979
2005-06-09
2013-04-11
  • sunny1979
    sunny1979
    2005-06-09

hi,

i have a problem running rtf2xml.

i have downloaded the tar file rtf2xml-1.0b  from https://sourceforge.net/projects/rtf2xml/

i have already python installed in my system.

i am using PC P3 Win XP.

1. i have unzipped the file rtf2xml-1.0b in C:\rtf2xml-1.0b
    2. i used command prompt to run

python setup.py build
          python setup.py install

it worked well, but without typeing python.

copying build\lib\rtf2xml\copy.pyc -> C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\rtf2xml
    copying build\lib\rtf2xml\tokenize.pyc -> C:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\rtf2xml

so, this is location.

I dont know all this i have done is correct or not!!!

Then, i still not clear about where to place the .rtf2xml Configuration File.

then, i dont know where to run this file. rtf2xml hello_world.rtf

i am new to python script. please tell me how to run rtf2xml.

Thanks in Advace
    Sunny

• Hi sunny

>>I dont know all this i have done is correct or not!!!

Most likey you have installed rtf2xml correctly. You would see an error message if you did not.

>>Then, i still not clear about where to place the .rtf2xml Configuration File.

You should see the documentation  in the html directory, which is located in the docs directory in the same place you unpacked the script.  Open up index.html and it explains about the configuration file. Basically, put this in your home directory, or in the same directoriy as the actual script rtf2xml. Either one works on a unix system, but I am not sure about Windows.

If you can't place the configuration file in either location, put it where you can place it. Open the rtf2xml script in a text editor, and set the configuration_file = ''<your path>, where your path is the actual location of the configuration file.

Note:  you do not need a configuration file to run the script, but having one saves you from having to use a lot of options each time you run the script.

>>then, i dont know where to run this file. rtf2xml hello_world.rtf

On a unix system, you simple type

rtf2xml test_files/hello_world.rtf

I'm not sure how to run scripts on a Windows system. Basically, you whould be able to run it like any other script, such as a perl script or a java script. You might have to type python followd by the full path of the script name

>>i am new to python script. please tell me how to run rtf2xml.

Running the python script should be no harder than running any other command on your system from the shell. You simply type in the command, followed by the options.

If you cannot get your python script to run,  you might want to ask a question on the python mailing list. I am pretty sure that it should be very easy to get things running; it is just that I am unfamiliar with Windows. But people on the python mailing list will be able to answer your question easiy.

If you don't want to ask on the mailing list, I can post your question.

Hope that helps

Paul