Suggestions

2005-11-17
2013-05-28
  • Just started using RText 0.9.3.0 and it looks good so thanks for sharing your work.

1. Would you please consider making <ctrl>+<Del> delete the next word to the left rather than delete to the end of the line.  I could not find a way to change the function of that key sequence from within the application.  I'm happy to be educated if required.

2. Trivial I know but would you replace the word "whitespace" with "spaces" in the "Options" windows at "Text_Area", "Emulate future tabs with whitespace".  Point is Tabs are whitespace. Also why is it "emulate" and not just "replace tabs with spaces"?  Did I miss a cool feature here?

3. Look forward to passing file names via the command line in version 0.9.3.5 as mentioned in the "Feature Requests" :-D

• Robert Futrell
      Robert Futrell
      2005-11-17

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the suggestions!

1. I'll look into this.  If there are any other keyboard shortcuts that are different/missing that you like, please let me know.

2. Good point about tabs being "whitespace."  As for the word "emulate," I guess I used it because something like "Replace tabs with spaces" kind-of implies that all tabs currently in the document will be replaced with spaces.  I wanted something that explicitly stated that tabs you do in the future would be replaced with spaces.  "Use spaces for tabs" sounds a little funny to me for some reason, but maybe it's what we're looking for?

3. It'll be there!

• A couple more keys:
         * <ctrl> +<backspace>
      deletes the previous word, ie. to the left

* <ctrl>+<pg up>
         * <ctrl>+<pg down>
      Jumps the cursor to the first/last line currently displayed in the window.  Similar to <ctrl>+<home/end>  jumps the cursor to the first/last line of the entire file.

* <ctrl>+<up arrow>
         * <ctrl>+<down arrow>
      advances file up/down the window with the cursor staying in its current position (on the current line) in the window.  If the file is advanced up/down far enough that the cursor reaches the top/bottom of the window the current line is advanced to keep it at the top/bottom of the window.
      This is real handy when working down through a file, cursor is on the line you need to modify but you need to see the previous/next few lines without having to move the scroll bar.
      I see <ctrl>+<up arrow> is already assigned to give the focus to the file tabs. Nice, but how about assigning it to <alt>+<left/right arrow> to directly switch file tabs and it cuts out a key stroke?  Oh and you gotta make it so when you are on the left/right most file tab another <left/right arrow> key in the same direction wraps to the tab at the other end.

<alt> is often used as a keyboard short cut to give the menu bar the focus so the arrow keys can be used to na.  Not a big issue/feature but I would argue it would be "expected behaviour" for a lot of users.

Advancing the cursor using <ctrl>+<left/right> in a PERL file is slows are it jumps to every transition of character type.  Eg, a variable called "$var" would require 3 <ctrl>+<right arrow> pushes to get  past it; stop at the start of the variable name, between the "$" and "v", then the end of the variable.  Similar for compound operators "+=" but inconsistant as the 3rd push skips the white space and moves to the next token.   Still stops between the "+" and "=" when logically they are the one symbol/word.  Might be too tricky to address in the next version though ;-)

Still, I'm liking it alot especially as it was so simple to install and use on both Linux and Solaris.  Probably why I'm bothering to give feedback :-D