Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

RSSOwl & del.icio.us integration

Developers
2008-02-26
2012-08-29
  • Ondřej Forejt
    Ondřej Forejt
    2008-02-26

Sorry I'm late

I've been clicking RSSOwl and del.icio.us for last three week and here is my thoughts, how this integration could work.

Since this is kind a special upgrade (not every person needs it) and there is a extension centre in owl, It would be good thing to make it as a another extension. I have never done module before, that would be great experience!

How it might look:

On the right side of toolbar there will be new object – a del.icio.us icon. When this icon is clicked, login window pops up, asking for username and password and then verify it. (to make it look good, icon could be black and white only when the user is of, colorfull when on).

Ok, we are logged on.
    In the bookmark pane, there will new tab called del.icio.us (Just to be 100% sure – these eclipse panes support tabs, don't they?). with two two default directories - Your tags and your network (== your favorites del.icio.us users)

It could support at least these features
    - Clicking on tag makes stuff label with it visible in main pane
    - advanced queries can be ask to. I'm not sure how to use it so far - first idea is when some key (ctrl?) is held, right click on tag will include it, left click will exlude it from searching

• same thing you can do with users in network (get theirs tags, theirs own network, etc.)
    • you can administrate your account (add and delete posts, tags, users, etc)
    • for a user, who is in your network, you can add a new feed to bookmarks pane to inform you if content of his account changed.

• when you are in normal mode and logged on, in your right mouse button menu, there will be a new option, something like save to del.icou.us. If you launch it, window pops up and you type here tags you like to have this article marked with. In this window, there will be few pre-set tags. (e.g current labels of the article, name of directory, …)

• Nice feature could be saving all rssowl stuff there (you coud download all your feeds from different computer with rssowl)

• autologing after new start
    • extend "preferences" for del.icio.us needs
    • something else...

Ok, now I am about to learn HOWTO's about eclipse platform and start as soon as possible. Where can I have sources? I am might a jackass, but I can't find them :(. And if you have UMLs, (or other analyze, if you had made it) it would be usefull to. my email is o.forejt_AT_seznam.cz (AT == @)

O.F

• Ondřej Forejt
      Ondřej Forejt
      2008-03-15

Horray, I think I get it!!

Please Ben, would you mind check it cos I wanna be sure if I am doing it good.

I created a package called org.rssowl.delicious. There is nothing but one extension so far - new action that adds new entry "delicious" to menu and toolbar. To reflect the changes within whole rssowl, I only added org.rssowl.delicious to plugin.xml dependencies tab of org.rssowl.ui package. Then I updated run dialog to include new package and launched it. It Worked.

Similary, if I would like to add new preference, I would do it using org.eclipse.ui.preferencesPages. And so on.

I am wondering, if there are special rules in writing the packages for the rssowl to be able to download when it is launched -
      Using the Tools -> Extensions -> Get More Extensions Wizard in menu bar.

thanks a lot
      O.F

• Great to hear you make progress. Let me comment on your questions:

> I created a package called org.rssowl.delicious. There is nothing but one extension so far - new action that adds new entry
        > "delicious" to menu and toolbar. To reflect the changes within whole rssowl, I only added org.rssowl.delicious to plugin.xml
        > dependencies tab of org.rssowl.ui package. Then I updated run dialog to include new package and launched it. It Worked.

I would recommend creating a new plug-in (not sure if you said "package" bug meant "plug-in"?) called org.rssowl.contrib.delicious. That would follow the naming scheme of contributions we have. Of course you are free to name it anything you like, since its your contribution. You should not need to modify any plug-in of rssowl to make yours run. Simply make sure that your plugin is part of the launch when you start RSSOwl. RSSOwl plugins can not depend on contributions for obvious reasons because your contribution might not be part of the build and the entire thing would fail then.

> Similary, if I would like to add new preference, I would do it using org.eclipse.ui.preferencesPages. And so on.

Yes that would make perfect sense. Simply add a new page called "Delicious" or so.

> I am wondering, if there are special rules in writing the packages for the rssowl to be able to download when it is launched
        > - Using the Tools -> Extensions -> Get More Extensions Wizard in menu bar.

Nope its easy. I would just have to add your contribution to the update site and it would show up by then!

Regards,
        Ben

• Hi,

Yes I totally agree that this could be an extension to RSSOwl in a plug-in. If its getting more attention we can still consider adding it to RSSOwl as part of the default installation.

So, for the first steps in this extension I would recommend to implement this feature where you can right-click on a news to send it to delicious. Thats pretty straightforward to implement imho. The user would be able to define his username and password somewhere in Tools > Preferences. You can add new entries to the preferences dialog, so I would add a "delicious" entry where all your settings go.

The second part is about a better integration of delicious itself into RSSOwl. My first question would be, whether delicious provides webservices to retrieve data (tags, users, groups). If not, this feature would be hard to implement.

Yes, you can add new Tabs to RSSOwl (Eclipse). They are called "Views". The plugin.xml shows you how the "Bookmarks"-View is added. You could easily add a view called "delicious" with the features you stated.

The best way to get started with RSSOwl2 and its sourcecode is: http://wiki.rssowl.org/index.php/Contributors_First_Steps

Regards,
      Ben

• Ondřej Forejt
      Ondřej Forejt
      2008-02-28

sounds great!!

You can easily retrieve del.icio.us data using these libraries:
      http://delicious-java.sourceforge.net/.

Link to official API is http://del.icio.us/help/api/ but it's not much interesting (since there is this API) I tried to write simple queries (get all tags, add a new tag, ...) and it works great...

Only pitfall I have noted, might be the one-query-per-second limitation, check the official api notes.I haven't test if the author of java API attended it.

thanks for the links...

regards,
      O.F.

• Its very good they provide this API. It will be a mandatory requirement for your work I guess. Do you need to register every user that uses the API or is it sufficient to register once for RSSOwl in general?

Ben

PS: I don't think the limitation is too bad. The question is, is the limit for a single user (e.g. rssowl) or per client.

• Ondřej Forejt
      Ondřej Forejt
      2008-03-11

Sorry it took me so long...

I believe that registring once for RSSOwl would be sufficient, but I better check it.

You were right, I have been experimenting with this API and the limitation seem not to be any catch at all.

Recently, I have some problems with the eclipse plug-in architecture, I don't understand enough so far to be able to continue. However, I am moving forward, I just need few more tutorials to pass. It would be good.

• > I believe that registring once for RSSOwl would be sufficient, but I better check it.

Ok, thanks.

> Recently, I have some problems with the eclipse plug-in architecture, I don't understand enough so far to be able to
        > continue. However, I am moving forward, I just need few more tutorials to pass. It would be good.

Yeah I think its a bit of work in the beginning to understand the concepts. You can ask here or in IRC if you have any questions regarding RCP. Btw I always found the RCP FAQ very useful: http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/RCP_FAQ

Ben