Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.
With bugzilla down, I'm not sure where to put this other than the developer
forum, but here goes:
When I started RSSOwl earlier today, I started getting java errors, such as
the one below:
An error has occurred. See error log for more details.
java.util.ArrayList cannot be cast to org.rssowl.core.persist.IFolderChild
Most of them seem to focus on problems accessing the rssowl.db file, as seen
in the extended log file:
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86
This is a continuation of log file C:\Users....rssowl2.metadata.bak_1.log
Created Time: 2010-12-20 19:59:33.791
!ENTRY org.rssowl.core 4 2 2010-12-20 19:59:33.792
!MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.rssowl.core".
is closed. close() was called or open() failed.
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: com.db4o.ext.Db4oException:
closed. close() was called or open()
at com.db4o.internal.Exceptions4.throwRuntimeException(Unknown Source)
at com.db4o.internal.PartialObjectContainer.checkClosed(Unknown Source)
at com.db4o.internal.PartialObjectContainer.checkTransaction(Unknown Source)
at com.db4o.internal.PartialObjectContainer.query(Unknown Source)
... 6 more
The full log file goes on for pages, but that's the top few errors. The
resulting problems were numerous: a few missing custom folder names and feed
names, an unresponsive Feeds and News menu, errors accessing various entries
in the RSSOwl preferences, and being unable to export (you could open the
export, go through the steps, but when you hit "save" in the select location
dialog after hitting finish it just returned to the previous menu). If anyone
wants a copy of the full log let me know and I'll see about sending it to you.
I fixed it by restoring a backup that had been taken the last day I'd actually
done anything in RSSOwl, so it looks like I didn't lose anything, but the
documentation to find said backup file was pretty much non-existant - I
located it after checking the log file, despite several attempts to google it.
You did the right thing. By saying "but the documentation to find said backup
file was pretty much non-existant", what do you mean? You should have seen an
error dialog pointing you to the FAQ where this is documented.
Unfortunately the error dialog only gave what appeared to be the top of the
stack trace, or at least part of it, and didn't include any links to the
general FAQ, the forums, or the bug tracker (which I understand is offline at
the moment). The program did not crash, and no data appeared completely lost,
but various menu components didn't work and some folders/feeds displayed as an
empty line (folders would still open though, and some of their contents were
fine, others were also blank lines).
As far as documentation, I was referring to what I found while googling -
mostly the wiki, the main RSSOwl site, and the forums. I didn't do a very
thorough search though - after looking at the general FAQ and looking for
".db" a few minutes ago I found the information I would have needed, so that
was more my fault for not thinking things through and just blindly googling.
Then again, the menus were on the fritz as a result of the errors, so the help
menu might not have been working - but I still should have checked the FAQ
more carefully. Anyway, let me know if you want the full log file.
OK you did not see the usual startup crash dialog then which would explain it.