Developers
2008-02-09
2012-08-29
  • Ondřej Forejt
    Ondřej Forejt
    2008-02-09

Hi guys,
    (I hope I write this to right place.)

You've just made me a bad day. You see, I was few days about to start working on my bachelors thesis (about web 2.0, syndicate channels, tagging, etc.) and in my practical part I was told to take a RSS/ATOM reader and program a feature that allows user to add different tags (or labels:) ) to each articles, allowing him to save it somewhere out (del.icio.us) as well as giving him possibility to ask basic queries (show me all articles flagged with "java" "javascript" and unflagged "C++". So you probably know where I am heading :)

Since all this features are in current release of RSSowl, there's no need to make them again. In autumn, both my supervisor and I thought there is no such a feature. That I must focus myself more to examinations than thesis and bang! new release is here :)

To make a long story short - guys please, <b>if there's some feature you are actually planning to add in next realease a it would take approximately same effort to do it, I`ll be happy to do it.<\b> The trouble is, that it must be something "touchable" - something I can say "Ok it's doing this and this and it's handy because of this" when defending a thesis. I wouldn't success with simple patch no matter how much it would be useful..

There's a still possibility for me to choose another rss feeder without this feature and do it, but you know... It's a waste of time especially if there is not many programs that can be with it's qualities compared to RSSowl.

I don't have much time, I really need to start as soon as possible and I understand that I'm quite early to ask about something new since latest version was released few Fridays ago. If you have any ideas, post it here, I will check this thread for next few days..

All the best
    O. Forejt

• Ondřej Forejt
      Ondřej Forejt
      2008-02-14

Ok, things are discussed and a agreed, so let's do them! Withing next week, I'll send you my ideas of how the improvement will work, its functions, and sketch of a design so we could discuss it. First, I want to finish a sub-article in theoretical part I had started working on.

And thanks a lot for your XULRunner hint, Ben. Problem is solved.

All the best
      O.F.

• Sounds great. Should be fun :)

Ben

• Hi Ondřej,

I am sorry to hear that, but I am sure we can find something into this direction that you could implement for RSSOwl 2 that still suits your needs for the thesis!

The nice thing about the framework that RSSOwl is based on (Eclipse) is the easy of extending it and adding new features. The UI is very flexible, e.g. you could add a new view and have all your stuff in there. There is even ways of hooking into the existing UI (e.g. menus).

So, while we provide basic features to assign Labels to News ("Tags") and perform queries on them, I do think we could provide a better integration. I am not sure how much time you can spent on programming or what the scope of the practical work is, but maybe we can find something. E.g. there is quite an old feature request open to support a Tag Cloud for RSSOwl 2 (see http://dev.rssowl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=210). That would be interesting and should be straightforward to implement. Of course its getting more interesting when the tag cloud supports some powerful features that allow interaction (and not just display) of tags.

Another interesting area where RSSOwl could be enriched is automatic guessing of tags or finding similar news for a given tag (this goes into the direction of information retrieval actually, not sure if thats part of your thesis).

Regards,
      Ben

• Ismael Juma
      Ismael Juma
      2008-02-10

Hi Ondřej,

Ben's ideas are good and some other suggestions follow.

You mentioned saving it to del.icio.us. This is not supported at the moment and could be a nice addition. You could consider each labeled news as a bookmark and the label as a tag. Sounds like a very useful way to be able to share labels with others as well as access them through a web browser.

In general, RSSOwl doesn't have many features that interact with online services apart from feeds. A new one that Ben added recently is keyword subscriptions for Google News, Technorati, Delicious, Google Blog, etc. That will be in 2.0M8, which should be released by the end of the month. We would be very happy if you were interested in adding more things like that. :)

Regards,
      Ismael

• Ondřej Forejt
      Ondřej Forejt
      2008-02-11

Hi guys

Thanks for all advices, you've written here, I'll consider it, and discuss it with my supervisor. He might like it too. Only problem here that I have never use the Eclipse platform - I use netbeans, so I know UI based on netbeans platform better. However, changing platform shoudn't be a main snag, though.

So If I add up my experiences with Rssowl and your suggestions together, Things that could be add/improved are these: (I hava a problem in using Rssowl, most likely due to bad settings, see below)

1) According to bug 210, Rssowl could be enriched with its tag cloud, so it would work like del.icou.us (when label is clicked, all articles marked with this labels is shown)

2) Del.icio.us support. I was a little suprised that saving to del.icou.us isn't supported - I could swear that in your flash demo presentation, there was a moment I saw something like "save to del.icou.us button" Ok, nevermind. So RssOwl really doesn't have this feature, or just something in my settings is wrong?
      Very cool thing is del.iciu.us API, which is often used by others del.icio.us-like servers, (for example www.jagg.cz - czech version ) a even cooler is great java API working with del.icio.us API.

About this problem of mine
      Do you have an idea why hyperlinked words at article info pane (pane down below) doesn't work? I tried it at my roomies computer, and he doesn't have this problem. It sad, cos I can't use a nice search-related-news window that pops up when you click a label)

All the best
      O. Forejt

• Hi Ondřej,

luckily there is quite some resources on the web how to develop with and on Eclipse including the widget toolkit SWT. I was using Swing earlier and moved on to SWT and found it easier to use (yet, not so powerful one might argue, unless you use JFace as well). If you need any assist or have questions with these technologies, I can help you out.

Answering your items:

1) Something like that, yes. You could even think about it a bit further and consider automatically generating a tag cloud out of news (based on their Top 5 words from the content). That way you could instantly overview what the top discussed news items are (e.g. from today). Again, this goes into information retrieval (my thesis was on this topic ;) ).

2) Thats right, we are not supporting del.icio.us yet and I think it would be a great feature to add. Even better if we supported the official API. But a simple solution would be to being able to send news to delicious (given the user has setup an account first).

Regarding the issue you see:
        - Whats your OS?
        - Whats your browser you use?

Ben

• Ondřej Forejt
      Ondřej Forejt
      2008-02-12

Ok, I'll send link of this thread to my supervisor.

I am using Gentoo linux (until march only, I will switch to something more user friendly, probably Kubuntu) and firefox 2.0

• Sounds good!

@Linux: This seems to be the cause of this problems. Ismael, do you see the same problems?

You could try installing XULRunner on your system to use it with RSSOwl. See http://www.rssowl.org/node/219 for more details.

Regards Ben

• Ismael Juma
          Ismael Juma
          2008-02-14

No, I don't have this problem on Fedora 8.

Ismael