Portable-RSSOwl ?

Help
2004-12-14
2012-08-29
  • Xavier Robin
    Xavier Robin
    2004-12-14

Is it possible to put RSSOwl on a portable device (eg an USB key) to always have it with oneself ?

This would mean to move the .rssowl profile folder on the key...

Is it already possible or should I post a RFE ?

• For Sun JRE (sorry, I have no information for other JREs) it's handy use .vmoptions file as common way to make any java app portable:

http://java.sun.com/javase/technologies/hotspot/vmoptions.jsp

(For example, currently I'm using this for Azureus.)

• Hi Xavier,

with RSSOwl 1.0 RC1 its possible to specify the profile. Using the rssowl.exe on Windows, use the "-profile <directory>" parameter, where <directory> points to an existing directory in where the ".rssowl" folder will be created. Launching RSSOwl via java.exe, please use "-Duser.home=<directory>".

You should find this info in the FAQ (Help > FAQ).

Regards,
      Ben

• Xavier Robin
      Xavier Robin
      2004-12-16

I can't manage to make it work.

I have a made a .bat file with the following code :

Start javaw.exe -Duser.home=....\Profils\ -Djava.library.path=. -jar rssowl.jar

The .bat is placed in the same directory than the rssowl.jar file, but I get a message saying that rssowl.jar cannot be found... what am I doing wrong ?

The program is located on X:\Programmes\Rssowl\ and the profile should be on X:\Profils.rssowl .

Thanks ;-)

• Hm, what about removing the -Duser.home line from the batch file and run it. Same problem?

• Xavier Robin
          Xavier Robin
          2004-12-16

Yes.
          I tried the following :
          Start javaw.exe -Duser.home=....\Profils\ -Djava.library.path=. -jar X:\Programmes\RSSOwl\rssowl.jar

It launched RSSOwl, but I think it used the default profile. I'll try tomorrow on another computer. Thanks.

• Hm, you should probably try the rssowl.exe like that:

rssowl -profile ../../Profils

That is working on my system.

Ben

• Would someone post the detailed instructions on how to run RSSOwl from a USB for a neophite to follow.

• This code worked :
            Start javaw.exe -Duser.home=....\Profils\ -Djava.library.path=. -jar X:\Programmes\RSSOwl\rssowl.jar

But it take a very long time to close.
            I'll try the code with the exe file.

• HI, the link http://www.quate.net/newsnet/read.php?id=32 only downloads a 1 KB file with mo ending ?