Can you update an existing post?

Help
2013-06-01
2013-06-02
  • Christoph Nahr
    Christoph Nahr
    2013-06-01

Is it possible to refresh existing posts from the current XML feed? Older posts get edited occasionally, and those edits usually get pushed out in the XML feed if the posts are still in there. However, it seems that RSSOwl's update function ignores those changes to older posts and only looks for new posts. Is there some way to force RSSOwl to refresh all posts in a feed from the current XML file, assuming they are still present in that file? Thanks.

• is the date also changing?

• you need to also have a change in the title, eg add an "updated" to it, that should work.

• Christoph Nahr
    Christoph Nahr
    2013-06-01

No, it's usually the same date and title. I've rarely seen an updated post that changed its title. RSSOwl would have to compare the contents of posts with the same date & title, and update them if different.

• yes, for performance reasons rssowl does not compare the article text.

• Christoph Nahr
    Christoph Nahr
    2013-06-02

Okay, I just tested increasing the publication dates of my updated posts by one minute. Next time I updated the feed in RSSOwl, the text change did in fact get picked up along with the new dates, so changing the titles was not necessary.

That still requires blogs to change either title or pub date, though, and most won't bother. There should be a setting to diff all available post contents on feed updates. I'll have to look at the source one day, that shouldn't be hard to implement.

Also, there appears to be a bug: when RSSOwl reloaded the changed posts after I tweaked the dates, those posts were not marked as updated. I believe this should have happened?