Integrating new XULRunner with RSSOwl

Help
cryzed
2014-07-08
2014-07-12
  •  cryzed
    cryzed
    2014-07-08

There are instructions available for integrating a really outdated XULRunner version with RSSOwl. These instructions still work on my system (Windows 7 64-bit, RSSOwl 2.2.1), but as soon as I try to open a feed with flash embedded in it RSSOwl crashes or freezes when displaying many feeds in the "Newspaper" view (I unfortunately can't even attach an error log, since it doesn't seem to create one successfully, it just closes silently or freezes entirely). I was wondering if you could take a look at integrating a newer XULRunner version with RSSOwl, allowing one to basically use Mozilla Firefox's engine capabilities?

I'm primarily interested in this because the built-in solution on Windows using the Internet Explorer's engine (as far as I can tell) doesn't seem to work reliably -- there is and has been a strange issue for quite some time where changing the currently selected feed item doesn't update the feed view (for example in the "Classic" perspective).

• Hm, can you export the logs and see if there is an exception? I cannot reproduce. You can export from Help menu.

•  cryzed
    cryzed
    2014-07-12

The log exported after the unresponsiveness crash in the newspaper view is here, the log after the silent crash is here. I isolated one feed item that leads to the silent crash: It's this article.

I tried to export it as an *.OPML-file after moving it into a News Bin, but without success (the News Bin is empty after re-importing). Funny thing is when I right click on it (to see if there was an export option of any kind) RSSOwl doesn't crash until I close the context menu.

Now that I did some more testing, after deleting every other feed (I tried to compress my .rssowl2 directory, but it's way too huge), I can apparently open the feed item shortly -- as soon as I click on the YouTube Flash widget to play its contents, RSSOwl silently crashes. This behaviour is slightly different from before, but essentially the same -- Maybe it's audio-related?

Last edit: cryzed 2014-07-12
  • I dont know, nothing special in the logs. Could be a flash problem with IE.

•  cryzed
    cryzed
    2014-07-12

As I said, it crashed before it had any chance to write a proper error log. And no, I don't think it's related to IE, since these only occur using XULRunner? That's why I asked for you to integrate a newer version of XULRunner.