Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Welcome popup displays every time the application launches

Help
2013-05-16
2013-05-17
  • porpoiseveins
    porpoiseveins
    2013-05-16

I've been using RSS owl for almost a year now, great application! I recently had to stop RSS Owl from the task manager after it stopped responding, after reopening it I was greeted by the welcome window with my view reset. This now happens every time I launch RSS Owl.

I assumed this was the result of a corrupted config file and managed to solve the issue by simply deleting the .rssowl folder in my users directory and reinstalling the application. Unfortunately this proved to be an inadequate solution because I have a lot of news articles archived to news bins that I very much want to keep and deleting the .rssowl directory deleted the news in the bins as well.

I've been unable to find a way to find a way within the application to back up my news bins and I'm not sure which files in the .rssowl directory are necessary to keep.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

• genodeftest
    genodeftest
    2013-05-17

Hi
    have you tried the steps from FAQ? see http://www.rssowl.org/help
    You can (and should) back up RSSOwl's data. You just need to copy the .rssowl2 folder, no need to change anything.

• porpoiseveins
    porpoiseveins
    2013-05-17

Which item of the FAQ are you referring to? I tried restoring the rssowl.db (as per one of the FAQ items) from a backup with no luck. Restoring the OPML file (from another FAQ item) restores all my feeds but the news bins are empty with none of the articles I have archived to them.

May also be worth mentioning that I tried to run the cleanup feature from within RSSOwl which just results in RSSOwl crashing on launch until I delete the .rssowl2 folder again.

Unfortunately I don't have a backup of my .rssowl2 folder from before I started having this issue, and restoring the one I have simply restores the problem with it.

Am I out of luck? :(

• genodeftest
    genodeftest
    2013-05-17

"RSSOwl stopped working. What shall I do?" (http://www.rssowl.org/help#item_6)

There could be another way of saving your data but it would require much work to be done. You possibly can copy parts of RSSOwl's database manually using a db4o database editor or something similar. I don't know whether that tool exists, try searching it on the web.

• porpoiseveins
    porpoiseveins
    2013-05-17

I guess it's time to cut my losses then and call this as a learning experience. I will be sure to back up my rssowl folder from now on.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.