Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Problems loading feeds some feeds in 1.1

Help
2005-03-29
2012-08-29
  • Slade Winstone
    Slade Winstone
    2005-03-29

    Hi,

    I'm (also) experiencing problems loading some feeds in v1.1

    Both of these BBC feeds seem to "freeze" after getting to around 80%, the "percent completed" just stops moving and nothing happens for up to 5 minutes or more:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_world_edition/front_page/rss091.xml
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_world_edition/science/nature/rss091.xml

    Both are being manually reloaded and going through a proxy. However, all my other favourites update OK, and downgrading to v1.0.2 fixes the problem and allows the BBC favourites to load OK.

    Is anybody else having any trouble with updating any feeds?

    Regards,
    Slade.

     
    • Had a lull during the ongoing disasters here, and was able to install the new version. Based on minimal testing, I can confirm that this build appears to have fixed this problem for me.

      Thanks again!

       
    • Slade Winstone
      Slade Winstone
      2005-03-29

      Sorry also:

      • WinXP
      • Java 1.5.0_02 (and several Java apps open at the same time)
      • Firefox 1.0.2

      Slade.

       
      • Could you please have a look in the logs folder of RSSOwl (user.home/.rssowl/logs) if something is logged?

        Is RSSOwl proceeding after 5 mins of loading?

        Please open a bugreport on this issue.

        Ben

         
    • Slade Winstone
      Slade Winstone
      2005-03-30

      Hi Ben,

      No nothing is being logged. I initially thought the problem was a network lag, but the "freeze" happens consistently with those two feeds and I can open the RSS XML manually in Firefox.

      To tell the trurth I don't know if it proceeds after the freeze because I stopped the load and after trying several times I downgraded to the earlier version.

      I'll open the bug report.

      Thanks for all the work you put into the system. Its a brilliant RSS newsreader.

      Regards,
      Slade.

       
    • Slade Winstone
      Slade Winstone
      2005-03-30

      I've created a bug report #1173566.

      ** Just a quick question, but it's not anything to do with both of those feeds having a language of en-gb, is it?
      e.g. from the OPML file:
      ... language="en-gb" ...

      Just a thought...

      Slade.

       
      • No, dont think so. As mentioned in my comment in the bug report, this might be related to the newsfeed being moved permamently to a new location. This seems to be a problem in your case using a proxy.

        We have to dig into this later when I have implemented debug-mode into RSSOwl 1.1.1 (I should have done this before, now it would be very helping).

        Ben

         
    • Curious -- did the 1.1.1 release fix this problem? I didn't see anything in the release notes that implied it did. I'm still back to using the 1.0.x release at the moment, as 1.1 was not usable for me...

       
    • It should be fixed in 1.1.1. If not, the Debug Mode was integrated. Do run RSSOwl in debug mode, do as follows:

      Run "java -Dnet.sourceforge.rssowl.debug -jar rssowl.jar" from the directory of the JAR file. Then directly load the feed and exit RSSOwl as soon as you encounter any problems.

      Then goto RSSOwl's home directory and find a "debug.log" file in the "logs" folder. RSSOwl home is in "Documents and Settings/.rssowl" on Win, "~/.rssowl" on Linux and "Libaray/Preferences" on Mac.

      Ben

       
    • Yes, 1.1.1 should have fixed this problem.

      Ben

       
    • OK -- I'll try to d/l the 1.1.1 release and try it out. I'll post back here w/my results. (might be a while, got some other problems I'm working on at the moment...)

      Thanks!