Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

RSS Owl use with Java 7

2012-12-05
2013-03-25
  • Uli Muenire
    Uli Muenire
    2012-12-05

Can I delete java 6 and use Java 7

• genodeftest
    genodeftest
    2012-12-05

Yes, you can. But please deinstall Java 6, do NOT delete it. RSSOwl runs fine with Java 7.

• Uli Muenire
    Uli Muenire
    2012-12-07

Thanks,
    I tried it earlier and Rssowl crashed. Reinstalled jave 6 again.
    Meantime there were some Java Updates.
    Now I have done it and it works with java 7

• genodeftest
    genodeftest
    2012-12-07

In fact some old versions of Java 7 had problems with RSSOwl but that was about 18 months ago. You should always keep your Java updated to the latest version for security reasons!

• Carol Anne
    Carol Anne
    2013-03-24

With RSSOwl 2.1.6, and Java 7u17, downloading feeds is broken.

I removed Java 6, and cleaned registry of all JAVA information. I then installed Java 7, and fired up RSSowl 2.1.6 (previously installed). Updates were erratic, and the xx% indication would switch from 47%, back to 15%, then 75%, then 0%. I could not reliably download updated feeds.

At the same time, I used another computer (same configuration) with Java 6 and RSSOwl 6u43, and it was working fine.

When I removed Java 7, cleaned the registry, and installed RSSOwl 2.1.6, all my feeds update fine, again.

Any hope to reconcile the problems between RSSOwl 2.1.6 and Java 7?

P.S.: Java's problems are rooted in the Oracle mindset; I'm afraid Eclipse and other foundational libraries are going to have to be moved off Java, because these problems will persist for Years! (And you thought Adobe was bad! They're amateurs as foisting off crap as software when compared to Oracle. --cao

• I am not seeing issues with RSSOwl and Java 7, I just tried.