Java Web Start

2004-09-20
2012-08-29
  • Erik Ramfelt
    Erik Ramfelt
    2004-09-20

Im curious why you would like to make it an online-demo only? Why not make it an alternative to download the zip, unpack it, click on exe. With the webstart you can even get a start menu entry without any hassle (if the user would like so)

Since the webstart will handle all libraris automatically (defined in jnlp file), I dont see why not make use of it? Doing so would lessen the download time when the RSSOwl program is updated.

I will put together an Ant file for building the webstart. On the SF (or where you have the files) you should create a webstart folder. In this folder you need to put the JNLP file (which you link to from the webpages), the jar(s) and icons. BTW, do you have a larger version of the icon? The JWS will show the icon when starting the program, (before it displays the splash screen).

I will try to complete the windows in a few hours, but probably need some help for testing the linux version.

• The biggest icon is 128x128 that I am using for the Mac version, just let me know what size you need, and I'll send it to you.

If you are able to, feel free to write a new ANT target that creates RSSOwl placing all libraries outside the rssowl.jar in a "lib" folder. Then it would be possible to update only those files with JAWS. I think that is a good idea.

Not sure about JAWS being a replacement for a real download. I must admit that my knowledge about JAWS is very limit. Does it create a folder with all contents that is clear to the user, easy to find? Is there some sort of uninstaller? How to execute the JAWS without being online?

Regards,
      Ben

• Erik Ramfelt
        Erik Ramfelt
        2004-09-21

Ah, I didnt find that 128x128 icon, I only found the 32x32 icon. Ok, I will try to use that icon and see what happens :).

Ok, I finished a webstart that ran the full rssowl jar file, but I think splitting the files up is a good idea. I will finish the full rssowl version first, though.

JWS is not really a replacement of downloaded binaries, it just helps people to get started quickly. Of course you should still supply binaries so ppl can put them where they want etc.
        The JWS will download the files into your home path, for windows it is "C:\Documents and Settings\EMatsson\Application Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\javaws". It is not really easy to find, but you are not supposed to find it there. You should really use the JWS application that comes with every JRE. In this JWS you can update the programs, go to the homepage, uninstall it and add it to your start menu. So yes, it has an uninstaller but it will not remove your saved configuration files.

I ran the JWS version of RSSOwl, and it found my old configuration files in the home path, so that was very nice to find.

You can define a JWS to only be allowed to run online , but you can at the same time let it run offline. Since it already has all the necessary files to run, it wont be a problem.

Anyhow, as I said. I fixed a JNLP file and an ANT build script. Where can I put those?

• I have just send you three big RSSOwl icons, maybe you can use one of them.

Could you upload a package of RSSOwl in JAWS, or zip and mail it so that I am able to upload those on RSSOwl's homepage?

Nevertheless I am now uploading RSSOwl 0.9b, we should then use that in JAWS.

Thanks,
          ben