If Google kills off Reader, what kind of back-end sync database will we use?

Thomas C
2013-03-16
2013-04-03
  • Thomas C
    Thomas C
    2013-03-16

With Google's announced intention to pull the plug on Reader on July 1 2013, we can hope the public outrage will bring a change of heart but, if the execution goes ahead, what happens to RSSOwl's very convenient syncing? I use FeedR on my Android devices, syncing with Google Reader and RSSOwl. A common back-end is needed, with published APIs. Anyone know if such a thing is in the works? If not, it seems we'll all be put back ten years, running our RSS readers in isolation.

• Thomas C
    Thomas C
    2013-03-16

I see there's a thread in the Developers section, https://sourceforge.net/p/rssowl/discussion/296911/thread/ecf74a54/

Feedly may be our salvation.

• Eileen Souza
      Eileen Souza
      2013-04-03

feedly does not work with Internet Explorer, which is a very large percentage of the market. Right now RSSOwl works with MSIE since Google Reader does. I hope feddly is not every feed reader's solution because, if it is, I and many other people locked into MSIE will be out of luck.

I really like RSSOwl the best of all the feed reader interfaces I've been trying on my desktop. For me, the solution will need to work on both MSIE and on my Android phone. I really hate the idea that I would need to subscribe to every blog twice.