Leaking DNS?

Melpomene
2013-03-22
2013-04-09
  • Melpomene
    Melpomene
    2013-03-22

I am new to RSSOWL but made the switch after the news about Google Reader closing down.
    One of the nice features with Google Reader is that you do not crawl the websites yourself, but rather google does that for you which provides you with some sort of anonymity.
    In an attempt to retain this I decided to try using RSSOwl over TOR (https://www.torproject.org/) so I put localhost 9050 in the SOCKS proxy input in the settings and choose use proxy.

Vidalia (the interface for TOR) is complaning alot now since it fears that I am being exposed through DNS leakage since the application seems to be requesting direct connections to IP addresses.

"[fre mar 22 11:19:29 2013] Potentially Dangerous Connection! - One of your applications established a connection through Tor to "173.. ..:100:80" using a protocol that may leak information about your destination. Please ensure you configure your applications to use only SOCKS4a or SOCKS5 with remote hostname resolution."

Could anyone verify if the DNS lookup is done through the proxy setting or not?

• genodeftest
    genodeftest
    2013-03-26

Hi
    Please note that RSSOwl's interal browser's proxy needs to be configured too. Did you change that? Should be done by editing some file in ~/.mozilla/eclipse/ folder. Use the keys from about:config to do that.

• Melpomene
    Melpomene
    2013-04-08

No, I only changed the proxy setting in Preferences -> Network Connection.

I do not seem to have a .mozilla folder (running OS X)?
    Wouldn't it be preferable if those settings changed aswell when one select using a proxy? Where should I turn with a feature request like that?