Google Alert Feed causes xml error

numbi
2013-10-21
2013-10-22
  • numbi
    numbi
    2013-10-21

    Hello,
    unfortunately RSS Bandit seems not to work for me with google alert feeds. If I create a feed like this: http://www.google.com/alerts/feeds/03752665608663943257/7178818760235100648 I can read it in Firefox but if I add it to RSS Bandit, it tells me: "Sorry
    This feed does not validate.

    line 1, column 1021: Missing author element: name (20 occurrences) [help]
    
    ... lt;b&gt;...&lt;/b&gt;</content> <author></author> </entry><entry> <id>ta ...                                             ^line 1, column 5958: Unexpected Text (2 occurrences) [help]
    
    ... lt;b&gt;...&lt;/b&gt;</content> <author>zinefestberlin</author> </entry> ...                                             ^In addition, interoperability with the widest range of feed readers could be improved by implementing the following recommendations.
    
    line 1, column 1506: Two entries with the same value for atom:updated: 2013-10-21T22:03:11Z [help]
    
    ... published> <updated>2013-10-21T22:03:11Z</updated> <content type="html"> ...                                             ^line 1, column 8648: content contains bad characters (6 occurrences) [help]
    
    ... 8:56:51Z</updated> <content type="html">Thomas Bogner \x96 ein Ingenieur au ...                                             ^
    

    "
    Unfortunately the alternative, subcribing to a search result, doesn't work either with google. After I add google as preinstalled, no feeds are found with my sample keyword "berlin".

    What can I do to succeed with these caseses?

    Thanks a lot
    numbi

     
  • Yes, the Google alerts producing bad Atom Feeds (not wellformed). You may have checked this already, if not see: http://feedvalidator.org/check?url=http://www.google.com/alerts/feeds/03752665608663943257/7178818760235100648
    I think they just get the results and "transform" them unchanged into a feed, without checking for invalid chars (or at least use a tool that auto-escape the chars for XML). There is nothing we can really do here within Bandit: we use a XML Parser, and if that fail to read there is really something wrong with XML itself (not nessessaryly the feed structure itself), You can Report that issue to Google.

    As a alternative you can use a different search engine that is able to produce correct XML, like yahoo. You can do this by yourself: Define a search engine in Bandit, named yahoo (Options, Web Search tab) if it is not already there. Populate the following text boxes with the listed Content:

    Url: http://news.search.yahoo.com/news/rss?p={0}&ie=UTF-8
    Title: Yahoo! News
    Descr.: Search news with Yahoo! News...
    Picture: [blank] (or take their favicon)

    Check the Checkbox named "Search result will be returned as RSS"
    The other Checkbox is optional, check it too if you like.

    Save that, "Apply", "OK"

    Now enter a search Expression in the Bandit toolbar search box, like "Berlin", select the "Yahoo" search engine (or just click all). The search result is now also displayed in the tree below "Special Feeds" named "Search result". Right-Click that node and select "Subscribe...". That's it.

    The same is possible with bing (see http://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/coolstuff/How-to-Get-RSS-feeds-for-any-Bing-Search).

    Hope, that helps.