Constant lockups on Win7 (32 & 64 bit)

Bill
2012-11-28
2012-12-01
  • Bill
    Bill
    2012-11-28

When using the internal web browser, if I do a search on Google it will return the usual search results. Without fail, when I click on any of the links provided, RSS Bandit (v 1.9.0.1002) will show a "wait circle" mouse and then go to a "not responding" failure. My only recourse is to kill the program using Program Manager.

A very few links will finally (after waits of up to 5 minutes or so) connect.

Is this a known bug?

Bill

• Do you search within the web page directly? Or do you use the search input box in the toolbar? What IE version do you have?

I cannot repro this behavior here (Win 7 Ultimate, x64, IE9).

• Bill
    Bill
    2012-12-01

Using the search box on your application directly. I've used the Options to suppress using any search engine except Google. When the results are shown (in your browser) I click on a given link. RSSB then changes the mouse into the twirling 'busy' circle and that's it. RSSB finally give me the "not responding" indicator on the title bar and I have to kill it.

In some instances, if I go back to my normal browser and wait a while RSSB will eventually recover and present the page I wanted (say, a 1 in 7 chance).

I don't use IE - at all - so all I can say is the version appears to be 9. I also do a lot of software development so I have the following .NET versions installed:

.NET 1.1
    .NET 4.5
    .NET 4.5 Multi-Target
    .NET 4.5 SDK
    .NET MVC-3
    .NET Web Pages

My default browser is Firefox (current version is 17.1).

Curiously enough, if I right-click a link on your browser page of Google results and select "Open in Separate Tab" a new tab will open in Firefox, and not your app. It doesn't do it all the time, but often enough to be a cause for puzzlement.

There are a couple of other bugs that are a little irritating also:

1) Once the "update" is triggered (manually or automatically) it never stops. The taskbar icon has the marching green strips that will continue forever until one of the category tags is clicked, then it stops. During the time it is running, CPU usage goes up around 30%.

2) If a category item shows, say 3 items, and you read one, the count does not change. When all 3 are read, the count remains the same (in BOLD). Only when a different category is selected and then the original is re-selected will the count reset.

Bill

Last edit: Bill 2012-12-01