Update from saved file

Brisingre
2006-01-15
2013-05-23
  • Brisingre
    Brisingre
    2006-01-15

This is a little thing. I use a saved copy of the web start link. I have to re-save it with each new update. I was wondering if it would be possible to add an "update" feature to the program, over-writing the jnlp file with the latest version from the website. I am fine doing it this way, but it would be easier the other way. Thanx!

• Trevor Croft
      Trevor Croft
      2006-01-15

One of the items for the 1.0 release (coming RSN, really !)  is that the webstart link will ask if you want to install it as a desktop app.  I believe that it will also autoupdate each time it starts, so you won't have to.

In the mean time,  assuming you are in Windows, instead of doing a Save Link, or Save Link As, just click drag and drop the link to your desktop.  That way you get a link to the file that generates the jnlp file, and not the JNLP file itself.  You can check this by looking at the url on the icon, does it have .php or .jnlp ?  Let me know if it's .php and is still not working right, cause then something else needs tweaking :)

• Brisingre
      Brisingre
      2006-01-15

Its a JNLP, so no prob. Thanx!

• Michael Rice
        Michael Rice
        2006-01-16

Try dragging the link to your desktop again -- until it is a web link to the php script.  The php script dynamically generates the jnlp, so you're saving a static copy of something that we _expect_ to change so we wrote a script to drive it.

• Brisingre
      Brisingre
      2006-01-16

Thanx

• Brisingre
      Brisingre
      2006-01-20

I could do a really crude auto-install for you, but it wouldn't be better (only easier) than dragging the links to your desktop. I have a nice util for this, so let me know.