maptool

2005-02-24
2013-05-23
  • Michael Rice
    Michael Rice
    2005-02-24

maptool is a client/server map (image for the background) sharing tool.

It supports loading images as the background, overlaying a grid, loading and moving icons around on it, and drawing.

It requires Sun Java 1.5

• Michael
      Michael
      2005-03-16

I see great promise with this tool and am proposing it to my group right now.

Couple of questions...does it distinguish icon ownership? Not to say I don't trust my players, but I don't want them to be able to control creature icons I the DM load onto the map.

Is it just me or is it a resource hog though?

• David Rice
        David Rice
        2005-03-17

Icon ownership is definitely planned.  Eventually you should be able to control exactly what functionality you expose to players.

It is definitely a resource hog right now... Before we reach 1.0 we will do profiling to try to fix as much of that as possible.

• Michael Rice
        Michael Rice
        2005-03-17

We don't currently distinguish icon ownership but we are considering it for a future release.

Describe what you're running it on -- we haven't done any performance tuning yet.

Keep in mind this is still a pre-1.0 release.

• Trevor Croft
        Trevor Croft
        2005-03-17

Thanks for taking time to post your message !  We're very excited you used our tool :)  Let us know of any features you would like to see, or bugs you come across, or whatever.

-Trev

• Michael
        Michael
        2005-03-19

Ah! mouse scroll. ok. well, what about adding keystroke for scaling. some laptops or other devices might not scroll mice.

• Trevor Croft
          Trevor Croft
          2005-03-19

We are planning on putting a slider or something on, but key strokes would word great too.  Perhaps + and - I'll drop that in for the next release

• Michael
      Michael
      2005-03-16

Will there be functions added for grid scaling or map scaling? Looks like right now its fixed length at 13x10. Or will zoning be the only way around wanting larger map/view?

• Michael Rice
        Michael Rice
        2005-03-17

Grid and map scaling are built in.  Basically click on the grid tool  (third from the left) and use the mouse scrollwheel to scale, click/drag to align the grid however you wish.

• Michael
          Michael
          2005-03-19

Suggestions:
          What about different grid patterns? Perhaps a 6 sided hex grid?

• Trevor Croft
            Trevor Croft
            2005-03-19

There's actually a feature for this in the tracker already, so look forward to it in a future release for sure :)