background map image

2005-10-12
2013-05-23
  • I would like to drop there my cc2 / photoshop PNG map images.

Now i drop them as a new asset, but i don't like this way because it can be moved, and the pogs don't have a "layered" implementatios, so its impossible to move a pog over the map-pog, because the map gets always selected and the map is moved, not the pog.

CAN you add a "underlay" pog category or a layered (fixed number of layers) with the "lock layer" facility to stop this layer to move ?

The layered approach would be the best, because you could have a:

-layer 0 --> background image (overland map)
    -layer 1 --> some notes and paintings over the background image
    -layer 2 --> cities and names
    -layer 3 --> pogs, moving from city 1 to city 2

The layers could have a descriptive name and:

- option to show, show to gm only, hide
    - option to lock movement of pogs
    - order number (to control which layer is over which one)

The layers could be shown ordered, from deep to surface, with a control to create another layer, move layer up/down, lock, show/hide/gm only, delete.

• Delak
      Delak
      2005-10-12

I have a question for you. Why do you use an assest for your maps why not use the load map from the file menu. That will allow you to have the map locked and then add your assests ie tokens(pogs) to the map when you select a token thats the only thing that you select not the entire map.

• Trevor Croft
      Trevor Croft
      2005-10-12

We currently support three of those layers:

Background map
      Drawing layer
      "pogs" (which we call tokens)

There are several ways you can set the background map.  When MapTool first starts up and you have a black background you can simply drag and drop a map image from your local filesystem, web page, or from the Asset panel.  This will set the background map image.  You can also right click on an asset panel image and select New Bounded Map.

All drawings show up above the background map and under tokens. 

At some point we will introduce the ability to add "stamps" to a separate layer (things like "road" and "wall" tiles), and possibly the ability to have layered drawings. 

Try out the existing layers and see if it fits your need.  If you find that you need more drawing layers, or a stamp layer, let us know and I'll prioritize it higher on our list of new features :)

Thanks for posting !

• Michael Rice
        Michael Rice
        2005-10-17

> If you find that you need more drawing layers, or a stamp
        > layer, let us know and I'll prioritize it higher on our list of new
        > features

I have come up with a use for this immediately.

I've got a published module that has "secrets" marked on the maps.  I'd like to use a scanned version for the maptool background, but then how do I hide these secrets?

The best thing would be for some kind of alternate layer, preferably one that I can drop bits of scanned images onto to cover the secrets -- until they are discovered.  Needs to be separate from map, drawing, and token layers, and needs to be controllable  only by the GM.

• Trevor Croft
          Trevor Croft
          2005-10-17

Is this something that an additional drawing layer would handle, or is it something that should be handled in a more direct way.  That is, should there be a "secrets" fog of war for example.  Or is this just an example of the types of things you could do if there were multiple drawing layers.

• Brad Stiles
            Brad Stiles
            2005-10-17

I don't know about anybody else, but I often have more than one "secret" in the same place, so having only one layer for secrets would not be enough. 

If there is to be only one layer, then each object on that layer would have to have a property that indicates whether or not it is visible, and of course still be visible to the GM so that he can make it visible for everyone else when it's found.

• Trevor Croft
              Trevor Croft
              2005-10-17

Good information. 

Would the multiple layers make it difficult to determine exactly which secret you are uncovering.  Just brainstorming, what do you think about a "secrets" list, where each secret is named and covers/uncoveres a specific element(s) on the map.  The GM would then be able to selectively turn them on or off.  The secrets would be in a list on the left panel.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, that's how multiple drawing layers would work.  Perhaps I'll put in prototype layers and see how it works out.

• Brad Stiles
                Brad Stiles
                2005-10-17

> Just brainstorming, what do you think about
                > a "secrets" list, where each secret is named and
                > covers/uncoveres a specific element(s) on the map.

Whatever the mechanism, and whatever it's called, the goal for me would be individually revealable entities, whether those entities be hidden items, secret rooms, illusionary scenery or invisible PCs/NPCs.

And that's another thing to think about.  If a PC is invisible, s/he should be invisible to everyone who can't see hir, but visible to the player who is playing the character.  Yeah, maybe longer term.  Completely understandable, but it's worth thinking about.

• Trevor Croft
                  Trevor Croft
                  2005-10-17

I believe we're planning something like that for 1.5 (player visible invisibility)

• Michael Rice
            Michael Rice
            2005-10-17

I was thinking an additional drawing layer.  I have to show a floor, but it shouldn't be one with a pit in it until the pit trap is discovered.

bsmeister: can you give us an example?  I'm not coming up with anything that I couldn't do with one secrets layer.

• Trevor Croft
              Trevor Croft
              2005-10-17

Actually, mrice, I think your example demonstrates needing more than one layer: some layers you want to turn on such as a trap, and some layers you want to turn off such as covering a secret room (that is built into the map)

• Michael Rice
                Michael Rice
                2005-10-17

Both could work the same way, turn off to reveal... that just depends on what's on the background image.

I envisioned this working as multiple stamps that could be individually selected and hidden/revealed.   But they could all be on the same layer. 

What I supposed that bsmeister meant was to have multiple secrets stacked on top of the exact same spot, such as an illusory wall with a door in the middle of a pit trap.  Just brainstorming with you how that might work with 1 vs many layers.

• Trevor Croft
                  Trevor Croft
                  2005-10-17

which begs for a stamp layer, or perhaps the ability to put image stamps on any layer (if we went multiple layers) :)

• Brad Stiles
                  Brad Stiles
                  2005-10-17

> What I supposed that bsmeister meant was to have
                  > multiple secrets stacked on top of the exact same
                  > spot, such as an illusory wall with a door in the
                  > middle of a pit trap.

That, but not just that.  Different secrets in the same visible area, whether that be a room or an open field, would need to be done the same way.

• Trevor Croft
                    Trevor Croft
                    2005-10-17

Want to clarify an assumption I've been making, see if it's true.

This discussion is for the case where the GM sets up the map _before_ the game.  The GM can always just draw secrets on the map in real time, or drop images on the map as needed (although we're still working on stack ordering the images). 

• Brad Stiles
                      Brad Stiles
                      2005-10-17

> This discussion is for the case where the GM sets
                      > up the map _before_ the game.

That was certainly *my* assumption.

Brad

• Brad Stiles
              Brad Stiles
              2005-10-17

> can you give us an example? I'm not coming up with
              > anything that I couldn't do with one secrets layer.

Two pit traps in the same room?  Two characters in separate rooms that find different traps at the same time?

I don't want one being revealed just because they found the other.  The same applies to a secret door on one wall, and a safe hidden behind a picture on the other, or two traps on the same door, or a trapped hidden door with an invisible monster standing in front of it and a pit on the other side.

As long as each of those things can be revealed independantly, without revealing the others, whether it's called a single layer, multiple layers, a list of secret items, or a flabbawoozy with sour cream, I'll be happy.

Brad

• Delak
      Delak
      2005-10-18

I agree that there should be another layer for traps, secret doors and that kind of thing.