Drawing Tools

BigAlzBub
2005-11-18
2013-05-23
  • BigAlzBub
    BigAlzBub
    2005-11-18

Would it be possible to have a copy and paste feature, for lines drawn on the map?  I was playing around with an unbound map, and I did a quick sketch of a tree, it would have been useful if I could have copied that and dotted them on the map.  Also would it be possible to expand the range of colours when drawing on the map, in my tree example I would have liked to draw the trunk in brown and the foliage in a dark green.

• Trevor Croft
      Trevor Croft
      2005-11-18

Copy/Paste Drawbables
      This is a hard one.  Let me think on how it would be implemented and see what I can come up with.  It involves several things.  You would need to be able to select a drawable/drawables.  It'll only support selecting the entire drawable.  It wouldn't be able to, for example, copy half a circle.

More Colors
      The color pallete will eventually be replaced with something more feature rich.  In the mean time, you can double click any color square to bring up a color picker.

• BigAlzBub
        BigAlzBub
        2005-11-18

Re more colours:
        Ah yes...that's exactly what I wanted, just didn't realise you could do that.

• BigAlzBub
      BigAlzBub
      2005-11-18

I was thinking of the sort of tool you get in MS paint, where you can draw a box around something, and then move it or copy/paste it.

• Trevor Croft
        Trevor Croft
        2005-11-18

Yeah, which works great with raster images.  The difference is that the drawables are represented as objects, which makes them easier to pass around to clients and the server.  Think of it as being more like vector graphics, Corel Draw, or Inkscape, for example.  It's tricky to accurately cut the drawables up. 

However, this is ok in your tree example:  you would be able to draw a bounding box around a group of drawables, similar to the way you can drag a box around tokens, copy the selected drawables, and paste somewhere else.

I've created a tracker to track it:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1360194&group_id=132209&atid=724899

• BigAlzBub
          BigAlzBub
          2005-11-18

Ah, now we have hit the crux of the problem, while I may well be able to make a million and one awkward suggestions to make your lives a living hell, my knowledge of programming techniques begins and ends with routine file handling in Pascal.  At the end of the day if its too difficult to code, I could easily live without, it just might be useful when your players say "go into the mines of death....nah we'll pass, lets go and explore the forest of curiously easy to kill critter that have ridiculous high challenge ratings." Or for when you forget your game notes or need to knock up an adventure real quickly.  On reflection, it would probably be easier/better to just make token of trees, bushes, rocks, etc, with the token tool and good image search engine.

• Trevor Croft
            Trevor Croft
            2005-11-18

heh :)

Which fits nicely into a feature I've personally wanted to implement for a while: image stamps.  Being able to take any image, scale and position it, and have it become part of the background map.

Imagine taking the green grass, dropping a couple rock icons, a scaled lake icon, a couple tree icons, and you've got a unique, pretty environment that took only moments to draw :)