Development update

2006-01-21
2013-05-23
  • Trevor Croft
    Trevor Croft
    2006-01-21

Just wanted to let everyone know that development is continuing (even though a couple games of starcraft preempted).  The current features just take some time.  Here is what I'm working on:

RPTools.net registration
    We already have local network auto discovery.  The idea is to make finding your friends' server easier across the internet.  This isn't as automatic, but should at least remove the need for figuring out your IP address.  On the Start Server dialog there is a new section called Register with RPTools.net.  If selected you will supply a server name and password.  You then tell your players what that name and password is, and on the Connect to Server dialog there is a new tab RPTools.net that they can type those two datum into.  This will autoconnect them to your server.  This all works as of tonight, just polishing up.  As an additional feature, when you register your server it attempts to connect to your server to verify that all your firewall stuff is set up right and will tell you if it can't connect.  This part is written but not integrated yet.

Adjust Grid Dialog
    Made some good progress on this.  I've found that it isn't nearly as intuitive as I thought, so I'm going to be updating that.  Also I've figured out the final calculations to make the map match the grid (hint: it involves stretching the image a little to make it fit integer grid sizes)

Anyway, there you have it.  I should be finished with the RPTools.net registration by the end of the weekend.

• emryys
      emryys
      2006-01-22

'Just wanted to let everyone know that development is continuing (even though a couple games of starcraft preempted)'
      Starcraft! Understandable :)

With this new server registration, will we be able to still do it the old way over the net, just in case your server is down, however unlikely?

• Trevor Croft
        Trevor Croft
        2006-01-22

Absolutely. 

On the Start Server dialog, it will attempt to register your server only if you check the option, and will not fail even if you select to register and the site is down.

On the Connect to Server dialog, there are three tabs: LAN, Internet, and RPTools.net.  If for whatever reason the service isn't working, you can still use the Internet tab which contains the old direct way of doing it.

• emryys
      emryys
      2006-01-22

You guys think of everything :)

I'm workin' on some maps for my western game and I'm going to do a test run scenario of the Gunfight at the O.K. Corrall. I just watched Tombstone and will post links when I've got more :)

Stay Tuned.....

• Trevor Croft
        Trevor Croft
        2006-01-22

Dang, we need to create a "Record session" feature so we can replay things like that !  Sounds fun, let us know how it goes :)

• Brisingre
      Brisingre
      2006-01-22

I would like some more info on the "RPTools Registration." I am wondering: can you change server name and password, is registration one-per-IP, and how on earth are you going to do this feature wihtout everybody slowing down? I think this is a really neat feature for those of us who aren't clever enough to get an Internet link-up to work, and it is things like this that make these programs so incredible! Keep up the good work, you guys are great! :)

• Trevor Croft
        Trevor Croft
        2006-01-23

In short, it won't have any impact on your bandwidth usage at all.  It's simply a convenient way to distribute information about connecting to your server. 

Think of it as creating an alias to your maptool instance.  Your friends can connect to the your server by simply knowing the name you've given your server instead of having to know the IP address and port number. 

Each instance you start a server on can be registered, even on the same computer at the same time.  When the server shuts down it unregisters itself.  As a nice side bonus, it provides an easy way to test whether you have your firewall set up correctly to let maptool traffic pass through.

On a more technical level, here's how it works:

- Start a server, check that you want to register it
        - When the server starts, it sends your IP address and the port number of your server to rptools.net
        - rptools.net then stores the IP address and port number keyed off of the name you give it (for example "Mr B's server"
        - Your clients then request connection to your server by name instead of your IP address, in our example "Mr B's server".
        - You can optionally provide a password so that only those you give the password to can get at the information (ip and port).  This is a bit overkill at the moment, but in the future I can imagine making the "Current MapTool Instance List" public so you can find your friends easier, but all the connection information is private for now.
        - When you stop your server it unregisters itself

So, in other words, it's not like registering a source forge account, it's simplifying the method used to get connected :)

• emryys
      emryys
      2006-01-23

It already seems that if a player has connected to the GM server before, the software remembers that connection and keeps the same parameters This works as long as none of the parameters (IP, port and password)have changed since the last connection. If this could be expanded like a list of 'remembered' servers that the player has connected to might be handy, for multiple games and saved as the name of the GM server like how your registered version saves. So the player only needs to choose the GM's game or enter the new data 'once' the first time.

• Trevor Croft
        Trevor Croft
        2006-01-23

You mean have the dialog remember the previous server names and give a drop down similar to the way browsers do with addresses ?

• emryys
      emryys
      2006-01-23

Yes it could look like that. This way the player would only need to enter it the first time and then could simply hit the 'Link' after that. Have the ability to erase old unused ones as well.