Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Grid Suggestions

Brisingre
2006-01-14
2013-05-23
  • Brisingre
    Brisingre
    2006-01-14

I have several suggestions to make, most of which pertain to the grid, but some of which pertain to token ownership. First, I would like a GM setting to turn the grid off for everyone, and this would sett all currant toekns and future tokens to not tied to grid, deactivate the tie to grid checkbox, hide the grid, and deactivate the "adjust grid" "show grid" and "set grid color," for everyone. Next, I would like a way to adjust the grid on unbounded maps. By the way, there seems to be some bugs in this now. On an unbounded map, the mouse wheel always changes grid, never zooms, I can't turn off the adjust grid, and using adjust grid sometimes turns off the grid or does other bits of wierdness. Thirdly, I would like to see a way to force players grids to the GM grid. Fourthly, I would like to see all token options under sole control of the player who owns the token and the GM, no more of someone else fiddling with monster states or deleting their buddy by accident. Fifthly, I would like to see an ownership option of "everyone," allowing anyone to move the token for, well, I don't honestly know. Sixthly, I would like token ownership to start on the person who brought the token into play. Lastly, there is one thing about the drawing tools; I would like the default for all but the freehand to be "snap to grid" and shift key releasing it, rather than the other way around. Oh, and it sould be nice to be able to set grid width, and to have a bit of the homepage devoted to sharing custom maps, tokens, overlays, etc, posted by users. Thanx!!

• Brisingre
      Brisingre
      2006-01-14

P.S. Sorry I posted a tome, but I had a lot to say, see.

• emryys
      emryys
      2006-01-15

I like these ones too :)...

4)All token options under sole control of the player who owns the token and the GM

5)an ownership option allowing anyone to move the token

6)token ownership to start on the person who brought the token into play

I also find when adjusting the grid, even after switching to a new command the mouse wheel function still moves the grid instead of zoom

• emryys
      emryys
      2006-01-15

'Thirdly, I would like to see a way to force players grids to the GM grid'
      I didn't know the players grid could be different than the GM's... Wouldn't this make  movement appear strange and not match on each screen?

I tested this and the player's grid conforms after the GM finishes adjusting, but the tokens are left out of sync with the squares until moved, a snap to grid thing

Certain functions for Tokens should be either GM only or Global, such as snap to grid and visible

More quick keyboard commands would be great like adjust grid and being able to toggle auto hide new tokens so I can bring on some hidden and some not easily

The New Map function defaults to My Documents, being able to set the default path for this would be handy

You guys fail to disappoint... keep it up!

• Trevor Croft
        Trevor Croft
        2006-01-15

RE: Snap to grid and visibility should be GM only
        This would be feasible when using Strict Token Management.  Before I add it as a tracker, anyone else have an opinion on it ?

RE: Quick keys
        Hopefully at some point all tools will have keystrokes.  We'll bump up the priority because of your interes.

RE: New Map default dir
        I've added this to an existing tracker so that it doesn't get lost
        http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1330343&group_id=132209&atid=724899

Thanks for the ideas, good stuff :)

• Brisingre
      Brisingre
      2006-01-15

Whups!! Your right about the grid!! Sorry!!

• Trevor Croft
      Trevor Croft
      2006-01-15

RE: Optional Snap-to-Grid on startup
      I like this one and it's really easy.  It may or may not have all the extra frills, since it might be too restrictive (people may want a grid for distance calcs even though they aren't on the grid)
      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1406341&group_id=132209&atid=724899

RE: Unbounded adjust grid
      I'll see what I can do with this one on the new Adjust Grid dialog.  If I don't get it in for 1.0, it'll show up after.  And actually, trying to adjust a grid on an unbounded map has always been "broken", it changes the grid offset but not the scale.

RE: Adjust grid bugginess
      Yeah, actually, the adjust grid started as a toolbar tool.  But it was soon moved to a menu item (since it should really need to happen once per map).  Since I'm replacing it, I haven't bothered fixing it :P  In the mean time, just click on a different tool, pointer for example, and that should set things back to normal.

RE: Token options and ownership
      This was actually the original intention, that's a bug :)
      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1406344&group_id=132209&atid=724899

RE: Ownership: Everyone
      This was actually the original intention, that's a bug :)

RE: Token ownership for creator
      I like this idea.  And it'll be easy to implement.
      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1406348&group_id=132209&atid=724899

RE: Default to snap to grid for drawing tools
      I'll need to review this with the design team.

RE: Able to set grid width
      ?? I'm not sure what you mean ?

RE: Homepage to sharing custom maps etc
      We would love this :) It's just a little low on the priority list compared to finishing up 1.0 :)

Thanks for the feedback, good stuff :)

• Brisingre
      Brisingre
      2006-01-15

All I meant by grid with was that it might be nice ot make gridlines thicker as a player option, for those who don't like looking at the really thin lines or can't find their glasses.

• Trevor Croft
        Trevor Croft
        2006-01-15

Ahh, gotcha.  I'm sure we can figure something out, that's super easy to impl, just need to figure out the best way to let the UI change it.  Thinking a menu item on the Map menu similar to the pen size tool

• Brisingre
      Brisingre
      2006-01-16

I have a cheap, easy, very slow way to do the filesharing, and I could implement it myself. A Gmail account has like 2.5 gig of storage, and I could create one for this purpose and post the username and password here if you like. Posting would have to be as an email attachment (.zip) and it takes forever to upload, but it would work. I could make the account easily if you think it is a good idea.

• Trevor Croft
        Trevor Croft
        2006-01-16

We sure love your excitement :)  Actually, we've got some good space on the rptools.net site that we can use, so I think we're ok there. 

Here are a couple hurdles that we are facing:

Time to invest in setting up the repository
          Time to moderate uploads (have to be careful of copywrited material)
          Should the repository just be a directory of images, or should it be mountable as a image explorer root ?
          Should the repository keep a bunch of .zips around, or be exanded for easier browsing

If you are interested in becoming involved in the first issue, we can talk about getting something up and running that you can be a part of :)

• Brisingre
      Brisingre
      2006-01-16

I would definetly consider spending some time working on the repository, but copyright could be a real issue. About any image used will be copyrighted, but if a text file with the download giving the website works, then it won't be too hard to do or to moderate. On #3 I don't know what exactly you mean. I think it should be repository of zips, by source, theme, and maybe date, to save on time and space, but I would recommend putting some thumbnails on too.

• Brisingre
      Brisingre
      2006-01-16

BTW I have a really wierd schedule. I barely have a computer every other week, and I spend hours on one the rest of the time. This could make things difficult.

• Brisingre
      Brisingre
      2006-01-23

Note that I would really love to help do this. I have a good deal of time and a decent computer this week.

• Trevor Croft
        Trevor Croft
        2006-01-23

Which part did you have in mind ?

• Brisingre
      Brisingre
      2006-01-23

I would like to do some of the organizing, post the 300-odd (guess) assets I have made, and do part of the moderating. For the moderating, I would need some guidelines. Mostly I'm "time to invest in setting up the repository," I suppose. With instructions on what to moderate for, I could provide some "Time to moderate uploads" as well.

• Trevor Croft
        Trevor Croft
        2006-01-24

Probably the first thing that should happen is to decide what the repository will look like.  Would you be willing to look around the internet and find a couple of ways other people are setting up image repositories ?  Then we can sit down together and decide how we'd like ours to look.

• Brisingre
      Brisingre
      2006-01-24

OK, I'll start hunting