Grid Size Feedback

Delak
2005-11-16
2013-05-23
  • Delak
    Delak
    2005-11-16

In sundays session I used a map that came from the wizards website with grids already in place.
    When I went to adjust the grid I could not get it small enough to fit the grid already there. So would it be possible to allow for a smaller grid to be made.

• Trevor Croft
      Trevor Croft
      2005-11-16

Potentially, yes, the current minimum size was fairly arbitrary with the expectation that grid sizes smaller were probably not used.

Can you point me to the wizard's image that I can use as a guide ?

-Trev

• I sure can. Here is the link the map I was using.
      http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mapofweek/831_r1.jpg

• Trevor Croft
        Trevor Croft
        2005-11-18

I see what you mean :)

I've reduced the minimum grid size from 10 to 5, which handles this map fine.  The new version should hit the alpha link some time in the morning.

This is a good time to bring up something we're working on.  You'll notice that it's really hard to get the grid to fit all maps exactly, this one being and example.  The problem is that scanned images tend to have non-integer size grid sizes.  That is, instead of having a 10x10 grid, it might be a 10.34x10.34 grid.  Since the grid only resizes on whole numbers, it can make it hard to make it fit.

We're designing a new New Map dialog that will help align scanned maps and the grid exactly on top of each other.  This will be part of the 1.0 release.

• Delak
      Delak
      2005-11-18

Thanks for the fix I will take a look at in the next couple of days.
      The new New Map features sounds good. I as get a lot of maps off of the internet and it can be difficult to line them up.

Which brings me to a question. Would it be possible to save a grid adjustment that can be used for another map. For example if I can not find the right kind of map online I create it using Dundjinni this program allows you to add a grid that is set to a specific size. So when I load that map into Maptools I could then load a save grid adjustment which should line up to that dunjinni grid. Just a thought

• Trevor Croft
        Trevor Croft
        2005-11-18

Integration with other tools would certainly be nifty.

Could you send me a sample saved grid file ?  trevor@croftfamily.net

• Delak
      Delak
      2005-11-21

Sorry about the delay. I will send you a sample when get home tonight.