Menu

New Token Features

Delak
2005-10-19
2013-05-23
  • Delak

Delak - 2005-10-19

I have been thinking about these new features for tokens after my last game let me know what you think or if there is already a tracker for it and i missed it.
    1.) On the right click menu of a token have status selections such as Dazed, Stunned, Prone, Dead. When on of those is selected have the icon either change color or have some kind of indicator on it. Maybe something simlar to the invisble indicator.
    2.) Have the abiltiy to add custome selections and there indicator

I think thats it right now. I am think of something else later.

• Trevor Croft

Trevor Croft - 2005-10-19

It's as if you had sat in on our design discussions :)  That's exactly what we're planning to do.  It will most likely be a 1.5 feature, but that's exactly how we planned to do it, and using little icon decorations to indicate state.  The Token Panel will also show all status icons next to the name.

• Delak

Delak - 2005-10-19

Maybe I did, you just never know anyway. I was just thinking that it would be really cool if you could pull this off and that is to have the ability to mark a token invisible to connected players. I will give an example as to why this would be use full.
      GM has an invisible NPC. Player A has see invisible going. Player B does not. NPC moves into range of both Player A and B. Player A can see it but Player B can not. I have no idea how you would do this.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Cool programs! I've just discovered them thanks to the DMGenie forums and have started using the token creator and mapping tool already in my game.

Is there any intention of increasing the number of token border types, i.e. different colours or designs? I'd be willing to submit several different styles, etc.

• Trevor Croft

Trevor Croft - 2005-12-07

Glad to meet you, welcome welcome !

First off, we LOVE feedback, we're in active development, so your input directly effects the direction of the tools :)

We are planning to have a default repository of token overlays, but unfortunately, none of us are graphics people, so it's taking a while :)

However, if you are so inclined, there is documentation on how to create and install your own overlays at:

http://rptools.net/tokentool-doc.php

If you'd like to submit some of the overlays you create we'd be happy to put them up on the site for others to use.

• Trevor Croft

Trevor Croft - 2005-12-07

Also you should use TokenTool 1.0M3 (ALPHA), it's much better

• AidyBaby

AidyBaby - 2005-12-08

Hi, thanks for the help (my post 3 up). I've had a play around with new token borders and created a new sample! How do I get it to you guys so that you can have a look and comment?

• Trevor Croft

Trevor Croft - 2005-12-08

I've created a mailing list called 'submit' that you can mail it to.

that is, send it to 'submit@rptools.net'

• AidyBaby

AidyBaby - 2005-12-08

OK. I'll send it now.

• Brisingre

Brisingre - 2005-12-26

I have created some new overlays with the GIMp, a freeware art editor available here: http://www.gimp.org/ and mentioned on the tokentool site. I recomend it to anyone who wishes to create custom overlays. It is confusing at first, but it gets easier after some use.

• Trevor Croft

Trevor Croft - 2005-12-26

Super cool.  We're creating a repository of sample overlays.  If you'd like to have yours included, send an email to submit@rptools.net and include the name you'd like to have credited.  Typically it's useful to include the same template at 64x64 pixels, and 128x128 pixels.

Also, we have a tutorial for Paint Shop Pro 8 on how to do it, we'd love it if you were so inclined to submit a quick tutorial on how to do it with the GIMP :)

• Brisingre

Brisingre - 2005-12-26

OK here is your tutorial. After you run Gimp, go under file and click "new." Set your size, and then click "Advanced Options." Under "fill with" click the drop-down and select "transparency." Click OK. The backround is checkerboarded, for some reason GIMP uses that to show Transparency. I recommend zooming in with the magnifier tool at this point. After this you simply draw in your overlay with the assorted drawing tools, (double-click the Upper box in the center left of the tools panel to change color), use the paintcan tool or some other drawing tool to put in a 255,00,255 color as stated in the maptool docs in any areas you wish not to appear on the tokens (for instance,the outside of the circle), and save as ????.png wherever you can find it again and with whatever filename you like. I have found the default png sttings to work, but I might have changed them and don't remember it. Drag your overlay into the tokentool overlay  panel, I have found that you sometimes need to use "add default overlays" to get it to appear. Your overlay should be saved in tokentool and you won't have to redrag it every time. Good Luck!

• Trevor Croft

Trevor Croft - 2005-12-26

Cool, I'll put it in the online documentation.  What name would you like to have credited for it ?

• Brisingre

Brisingre - 2005-12-26

I am sorry to say that I am not a graphics person either and that all I have made are a symbol that cut out most of the image and left a kind of v-shaped unrecognizable bit instead and an uber-basic empty square with a 3-pixel black border. I can send them if you like, but they are pretty worthless, I even deleted the symbol.

• Brisingre

Brisingre - 2005-12-27

Lou Lessing, or you can just use Brisingre if you like. Thanks.