Feedback after play testing

2005-10-10
2013-05-23
  • I finally had a chance to use maptool last night and here is my feedback.
    So far this is the better online tabletop map program i have used or tried to use. We did run into a problem where the two connected players did not get an update of token movement or placement. I also had 3 zones setup and when i switched to one of the other zones one player took a very long time to get that update. So i was thinking would a gm to player push to refresh there end solve those two issues.

Another thing that would be nice is the ability to move tokens from one zone to another like the tokens that represent the PC i had to add them all again.

We did really use the chat feature to much but i think a new window on the left hand side would be better for this along with the abiltiy to right click on a connected user to send them a message.

I also ran into a problem when i adjusted the grid and then moved tokens it would not line up right. I wish i could explain this better but i cant as the behivor was odd.

Other then these few minor problems or issues it was great and i will be using it again.

• Trevor Croft
      Trevor Croft
      2005-10-10

Super thanks for the feedback !

We've also experienced the occasional dropping of token movement and are trying to track it down.  Was there anything in particular that you recall doing to get it into this state ?

On the zone that took a while for the other player to see, was it a map that used a background image, or an unbounded (green grass) map ?  If it's a background image map, it's possible that the other player had to download the image from the server before seeing it.  A way to check for this is to have them switch to a different map and then back  and see if it is quick.  Perhaps a fix for that would be to send the background map in a background thread.

The ability to move tokens from one map to another already has a tracker, so look for it in the next couple releases.  Take a look at http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1285346&group_id=132209&atid=724899 and let us know if you think this is a good way to do it.

Tell me more about the grid token offset issue.  Perhaps a screen shot ?  What were the steps you took to get to the state where the tokens were not lining up right ?

Glad to hear you had a good experience and thanks for the feedback !

-Trev

• Here is what i did for the grid offset issue. Loaded a map, started a server, clicked on GM - Adjust Grid. I then moved the grid and then changed the size to fit the map. I then added a token. When i go to move the token it doesnt line up correctly but when i release the mouse button to confirm the move it snaps to the grid but in the wrong square.
      I really can not show whats going on in a screenshot, there may be a way i can show you but need to get some free time first.

• Trevor Croft
      Trevor Croft
      2005-10-11

Ahh, you're absolutely right.  I can reproduce it by following your steps.  Apparently the snap to grid isn't calculating correctly when dragging.

I've added a tracker issue and will fix it very soon.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1323432&group_id=132209&atid=724899

• Delak
      Delak
      2005-10-11

Keep forgetting to login.
      I was hoping you would be able to reproduce the issue.

I just thought of another thing that happend during our game and that was the players had the ability to move the tokens of the NPC and monsters. I think it would be a good idea to lock or assign tokens to specific connected users but also allow a GM to move any token.

I have not used the fog of war yet i wanted to get use to the maptool first so i think my next game I will try to use the fog of war or at least test it with some of my players.

I am not sure if this is by design or not but when i loaded a map and then went to adjust the grid it told me i need to be a GM, i solved this by starting a server. If its by design I think i would preffer to do my adjustments with out having to start a server.

• Trevor Croft
        Trevor Croft
        2005-10-11

Token ownership has not been introduced yet, although there is a tracker for it. 

The issue with having to start a server to adjust the grid is one that we're trying to decide how to handle.  We could make a server start up when you start MapTool, which has certain implications, or we can make an unconnected MapTool assume GM status, which also has implications.

• Trevor Croft
      Trevor Croft
      2005-10-11

As a side note, I've checked in a partial fix for the token drag offset problem.  You can get access to it by using the latest M6 alpha from rptools.net.  It's not pixel perfect yet, so I haven't closed the issue, but it's much closer.

• Delak
      Delak
      2005-10-11

Cool hope fully i will have sometime tonight to give it a test.