Improvements

BigAlzBub
2005-10-17
2013-05-23
  • BigAlzBub
    BigAlzBub
    2005-10-17

First up I would like to say that this is a excellent piece of software, even in this early stage.  There are a few things that would make it better, first would it be possible to have the ability to load token sets, ideally with a tree structure so you can organise and find tokens quickly and then drag them onto the map (rather than having another window open).  Scroll bars on the map window would also really help (I know you can drag the map, but if you leave the adjust grid option on, it can get a little frustrating).  The ability to make templates for spell effect would also be an excellent feature and save a great deal of time.  Could you make a circular reveal tool that draws from the radius, so you can do light sources; its rather tricky with the current ellipse tool.

Hope you continue the good work

• Trevor Croft
      Trevor Croft
      2005-10-17

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback.

I've got good news for you :)

You can load hierarchical tokens sets already.  It's currently called 'Tools->Add Asset Root' (I just checked, the Tools menu is missing from the latest M6 on rptools.net, I'll get a new version up this morning).  Navigate to the top level of the hierarchy on your filesystem and hit OK.  Your directory will show up on the left panel under Assets.  Just double click the directory to expand it.  You can then drag and drop from there.  MapTool also remembers the directories you've added between runs, so you only have to add them once.

Scroll bars on the map are a bit tricky.  Consider the unbounded map, what bounds do you put on the scrollbar ?  Could potentially bound it by what has currently been drawn, but then it gets tricky at the edges.  In regards to the grid issue, we're working on simplifying the grid adjustment tool to make it easier, more direct, and distinctly different than the other tools.

Templates for spell effects actually already has a tracker and will be available for 1.0

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1197868&group_id=132209&atid=724899

We've talked about making the circle and rectangle tools (both drawing and expose) use a keystroke modifier to do a radius.  I'll go ahead and make it an official tracker and put it in for the next M6 release.

• Trevor Croft
      Trevor Croft
      2005-10-17

Also, for gross movements in the map, you can use the mouse wheel to quickly zoom out, then zoom back in on a certain spot (the zoom centers on the mouse pointer).

Give that a try, let me know if you have other thoughts on ways to move around the map.

• for the unbound map you could probably do "stretchy" toolbars, where only 80% of the bar is actually for scrolling, and the other 10% (or when it gets to the boundary) keeps moving it at a constant rate in a given direction, i agree this would be a great feature.

• BigAlzBub
      BigAlzBub
      2005-10-18

Is it possible to have to have a line thinner than 3, when drawing on the map or removing the fog of war?  Also is it possible to fix it so that when you select a token in the token panel, it has the same functionallity as if you selected it on the game board, so you could add a new token, then say right click on it and rename it?  I don't know if its the counters I'm using, but if I form the tokens into a cross (NESW + 1 in the centre) but if you select the centre token you can't see the red and white stripey lines arround the outside of the centre token (this is in the 1.0M6 version).  A copy function for tokens on the board would also come in handy when you right click a token (sorry for making all these petty requests ;p).  Could you also set it so that when players log onto a server, by default the minimap is off (view>show map selector), perhaps it should be controlled only from the server?