Fire-and-Forget Token Animations

Brisingre
2005-12-28
2013-05-23
  • Brisingre
    Brisingre
    2005-12-28

This is a suggestion. I know their is already a tracker for this, but I really like this idea and couldn't resist giving my own ideas on how it could work. I don't know if this is even possible, but I will suggest it anyway. These are really two suggestions. The first is that if MapTool supported animated .GIFs as tokens the someone could just make the anim themselves and drop it, as .gifs are fairly easy to make. I have yet to find a freeware program for their creation, but then again I haven't really looked. There is probably one somewhere on SourceForge. The second suggestion is to put a timed auto-delete on some tokens, a "lifespan" so to speak. This would be very important if the first suggestion were to work, but as many animations would be a single frame anyway,this would work very nicely without supporting animation. I love these programs!

• Trevor Croft
      Trevor Croft
      2006-01-04

This is definitely something I'd like to see too.  Let me think about the implementation a bit.  It might not make it into the 1.0 release, but will certainly show up at some point :)

• Brisingre
      Brisingre
      2006-01-05

Thank you for responding. Btw I have found several freeware gif programs since I made this post, UnFreez is bad, but Microsoft gif editor is decent.

• Brisingre
      Brisingre
      2006-01-15

I wish I could do better than this, but I don't know Java, so this is given as-is, and is possibly gibberish. GIFcanvas is a class that writes out animated GIF files, but what good it is I don't know. However, this means that Java in some way does support GIFs.

• Trevor Croft
        Trevor Croft
        2006-01-15

Yes, Java does support reading (and recently writing) gifs, even multi image ones :)  The trick is in the animation of it.  Dropping the images onto a button or label would automatically animate it because of framework in Java.  However, when using ImageIO and building custom components, the images have to be animated by hand. 

Not a big deal really, but at the moment the tokens are all assumed to have exactly one image to display.  Changing that assumption will take some backend changes.  It's cool enough that it will certainly get done, but probably not until we have a stable 1.0 :)