From: D. Michael McIntyre <michael.mcintyre@ro...> - 2008-03-02 17:23:43
It is finished. Done. Complete. Permanently, and forever, never to be
revisited again, no matter what. I quit on this. I never want to look at it
I got a long way this time. There are still some gaps to bridge to get all of
the way to the goal I was trying to achieve, but I got much closer in this
fourth rewrite than I did on the one I started.
I had no idea when I sat down to write a "Let's see what the release 1.6.1
version can do" that I was going to wake Chris up out of hibernation, and get
him to change the world under my feet. It was productive overall, but
rewriting and rewriting again is ridiculously tedious. Small changes
cascaded throughout the whole damn thing, so some of those screenshots have
been redone no less than four times, and it still has a lot of screenshots
and text that might or might not match what you actually experience yourself
if you try to follow along, because it was always a little different for me
every time I followed along myself; even when I was using the same build.
It gets you pretty damn close to a hands-off direct print export of something
that's practically identical to the original file though. (Excepting the
lyrics being at the bottom of the page in the original, and miscellaneous
really piddly issues you'll never get me to care about for less than $100,000
in cash. Plus of course the real issues that leave me with a bitter taste in
my mouth after running this marathon. So close, but dammit, not there.
D. Michael McIntyre
From: D. Michael McIntyre <michael.mcintyre@ro...> - 2008-03-05 02:59:06
On Sunday 02 March 2008, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
> It is finished. Done. Complete. Permanently, and forever, never to be
> revisited again, no matter what. I quit on this. I never want to look at
> it again. Ever.
OK, I lied. LilyPond doesn't export the hidden key signatures now. Then I
added a new hack to try to put a \stemUp before the offending rests in the
last couple of bars. I managed to get one of them in the right place, but
not the second one.
I'm giving up for today. I might be able to come up with some really horrible
trickery with this existing hack, or I might end up rolling it all back in
favor of a real solution, like giving rests an up or down property that could
be handled in the proper sequence during export.
No idea yet, but I do know it was time to quit an hour ago.:wq
D. Michael McIntyre