When I tried the development version of Rosegarden, I tried it with both "fixed" and "auto", and it didn't seem to affect it.  However, I think I changed that setting just prior to exporting the MIDI file (not before changing the channel). 

- Aere


On Fri, 2012-09-07 at 00:17 -0400, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
On 09/06/2012 11:20 PM, Tom Breton (Tehom) wrote:

> There has always been a separate conductor track in RG exported MIDI.

There's the problem then, Tom.

He wants to get all the stuff on channel n by assigning everything to 
instrument n.  There is no direct way to set the channel, but choosing 
instrument #n with the channel fixed to it ought to do the job.

Now we apparently export a separate conductor track.  I didn't even know 
that.  (I just never use standard MIDI files, and everything I've done 
of any consequence for the past 10 years is in .rg format.)

The MIDI export logic probably just grabs channels on a first come, 
first serve basis and starts with 1 for the first track, which is the 
conductor track, then increments from there.  The result I'd expect to 
see is that we always export stuff to use channel n+1, with n never 
attainable unless n >= 2.

What we could do about that, I can hardly imagine.  Maybe just export 
the conductor track *and* the first real track in the composition on 
channel 1.  Maybe.

(Bear in mind I'm using "end user" MIDI channel numbers where they're +1 
relative to the actual numbers we use internally.  0 is 1, 1 is 2, etc.)

I think that's the gist of it anyway.  Just popping in, and not studying 
anything at all.


-- 

Sincerely,
Aere