RKWard 0.6.1 using R 3.0 on Ubuntu 12.04 crashing on start --rkward.frontend PID: 24582 Signal: Segmentation fault (11)

Burfee
2013-05-06
2013-05-18
  • Burfee
    Burfee
    2013-05-06

Hi,

Just updated R and RKWard and i'mhaving problems starting the GUI. Running rkward from the terminal i get the following:

$ rkward

KCrash: Application 'rkward' crashing...

KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit

sock_file=/home/burfee/.kde/socket-burfee/kdeinit4__0

[2] Exit 253 rkward

[3]+ Stopped rkward

Below is the error stack

What should i do to fix it?

Last edit: Burfee 2013-05-06
    • Hi!

I was just going to tell you to re-compile RKWard after udgrading to R 3.0.0, but in fact, your backtrace looks different.

I have found a bug that might be causing this in SVN, and fixed it. If you are building from SVN, please try again after an "svn up".

Otherwise, this problem may occur, if a "pluginmap" which was previously known to RKWard can no longer be found. You can check your ~./kde/share/config/rkwardrc for such pluginmaps, and remove them manually, or (re-) move ~./kde/share/config/rkwardrc to start with a clean setup.

However, quite likely, the reason that a previously known pluginmap file has gone missing, is that you did not install RKWard, correctly. In particular, make sure to use the correct -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX option when compiling. Note that binaries of RKWard for Ubuntu and R 3.0.0 are available since yesterday: https://launchpad.net/~rkward-devel/+archive/rkward-stable-cran .

Finally: Please don't post to both the forum and the bug-tracker. Either would have been fine in this case, but having both just increases the bookkeeping effort.

Regards
      Thomas

• Burfee
    Burfee
    2013-05-06

error stack

• Burfee
    Burfee
    2013-05-06

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your answer and sorry for double posting.
    I managed to install it by adding the new ppa and then
    sudo apt-get install rkward.

Best,
    Alex

• AndresM
    AndresM
    2013-05-17

Hi, I get the same error. I have installed the RKward package from launchpad (CRAN version) through the ubuntu software center (previouslly I added the ppa:rkward-devel/rkward-stable-cran to my system)
    The output of rkward --version is:
    Qt: 4.8.1
    Plataforma de desarrollo de KDE: 4.8.5 (4.8.5)
    RKWard: 0.6.1

File rkwardrc does not exist.

Thank you for any help!!

The error output at the starting point is attached.

Attachments
  • Hi!

I'm not sure this is the same bug. The last two stops of the backtrace look the same, but not what leads up to it. Before anything else, please double check:

a) That you have R version 3.0.0 installed, i.e. not the version of R that came with your Ubuntu, and that R 3.0.0 is at /usr/bin/R. If /usr/bin/R is the version that came with your Ubuntu, use the "rkward-stable" PPA, not "rkward-stable-cran".
    b) That you really do not have an existing ~./kde/share/config/rkwardrc .
    c) That 'which rkward' shows /usr/bin/rkward (i.e. there is no confliciting installation on your system).

If none of this is the issue, start rkward with "rkward --debug-level 5", and post the latest pair of /tmp/rkward.frontend.XYZ and /tmp/rkward.rbackend.XYZ after that.

Thanks!
    Thomas

• Addendum: Of course R 3.0.1 is ok, too.

• AndresM
    AndresM
    2013-05-18

Thank you Thomas for your quick answer.
    When I started to check the 3 points, I discovered the file "rkwardrc". I changed its name, and all worked fine!!
    The problem was:
    I used RKward stable ubuntu version, with R 2.15. But when R 3.0.0 (CRAN) stable version was released, the RKward 0.6.1 from lunchpad did not work (an error about dependencies prevented the installation). I had to move to RKward CRAN version. I checked "rkwardrc" after compiling the wrong version of RKward (launchpad.net/~rkward-devel/+archive/rkward-stable), so I never got the file. But now, with CRAN version ("launchpad.net/~rkward-devel/+archive/rkward-stable-cran") I found the file. I've renamed it, and thats it!
    Thank you for your help!!