Chiba & usbdevfs

Help
KappyKirk
2005-03-10
2013-04-23
  • KappyKirk
    KappyKirk
    2005-03-10

I'm having problems getting my Chiba 256 working under Gentoo (kernel 2.6.10). I installed rioutil via emerge, and it configured it using --with-usbdevfs. When I plug in my Rio, as in the previous thread, it autoloads usb_storage, which I'm guessing mucks up the rioutil:

# rioutil -i
    Attempting to open Rio and retrieve song list....
    Device not found.
    library tried to use method: usbdevfs

However, I rmmod usb_storage and it does the same thing. Furthermore, it seems that although I can mount this drive as a USB storage device, it won't mount correctly. Rather it appears to mirror the information in /proc/bus/usb:

# mount -t usbfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/rio
    # ls -l /proc/bus/usb
    total 0
    dr-xr-xr-x  2 root root 0 Mar 10 01:02 001
    dr-xr-xr-x  2 root root 0 Mar 10 01:02 002
    dr-xr-xr-x  2 root root 0 Mar 10 01:02 003
    dr-xr-xr-x  2 root root 0 Mar 10 01:02 004
    -r--r--r--  1 root root 0 Mar 10 01:37 devices
    # ls -l /mnt/rio
    total 0
    dr-xr-xr-x  2 root root 0 Mar 10 01:02 001
    dr-xr-xr-x  2 root root 0 Mar 10 01:02 002
    dr-xr-xr-x  2 root root 0 Mar 10 01:02 003
    dr-xr-xr-x  2 root root 0 Mar 10 01:02 004
    -r--r--r--  1 root root 0 Mar 10 01:37 devices

So currently, there is no way for me to transfer files. I did compile usbfs into the kernel, here're the lines from my /usr/src/linux/.config:
    CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
    CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
    CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m

I would be greatly indebted to anyone who can help me out with this issue.

• Nathan Hjelm
      Nathan Hjelm
      2005-03-10

Are you running rioutil as root or a user?

• I don't know the Chiba player, but rioutil is for support of those Rio players that are *not* usb mass-storage devices.
      Therefore usually the Rio won't be affected by the usb_storage module, but -assuming you used --with-usbdevfs - you need libusb to be installed and configured on your system. Also you need to run rioutil setuid root to have access to the usbdevfs. Most "device not found" errors are raised by one of these two issues.

regards,
      Jali

• KappyKirk
      KappyKirk
      2005-03-10

Okay, so I was able to access the player by mounting it (using usb_storage) as a vfat filesystem, *not* usbfs filesystem. So that works okay, but still no rioutil. I was running it as root. I'm still wondering if it would be possible to use rioutil, since the README specifically says the Chiba is supported. Is this just for older versions of the Chiba, and not for  my CHIBA256MB/firmware rev, maybe? Or, would I have to remove the usb_storage module from my system? I'm not even sure by what mechanism this module is getting loaded upon insertion of the Rio... This problem is no longer pressing, but I am curious, and would like to be able to use rioutil... Thanks for the help!

• If you can use the usb_storage, to access the player, you don't need rioutil. It's designed for those players, that are not usb mass storage devices.

The usbfs has nothing to do with the filesystem on your player. USBFS is a virtual filesystem, which monitors all devices on your usb bus. It provides a Unix-style set of device files, which are dynamically created or destroyed, when you attach or detach usb devices. This allows you to use your usb devices by simply reading or writing to a device file.

regards,
        Jali