First Filament Order

2006-09-28
2013-05-02
  • plaasjaapie
    plaasjaapie
    2006-09-28

Just an update.  I called Image Plastics in Ohio this morning and was told that they hadn't received the CAPA polymer that Sebastien sent last week.  I expect that it should arrive by the weekend.

One thing that we need to discuss is how we want to finance and coordinate filament orders and shipments, assuming that Jim Waring can produce filament that works with the Mk II.

I spoke with Jeff Niedinger at Solvay's Houston office and he indicated that for a company in Ohio (Image Plastics) we'd be ordering directly from Solvay rather than using a distributor.  I'm presently setting up to qualify as a customer for Solvay so that I can order direct.

Jim, btw, has the capacity to handle quite large orders (multi-ton) and his prices look good.

I'm willing to order and transship at cost for now.  At some point, however, we're going to have to work out a more commercial arrangement.  It's too early to worry about that for now.  I'll tell you all when I get tired of cutting and shipping CAPA filament. :-)

• plaasjaapie
      plaasjaapie
      2006-09-29

Okay, I just spoke to Leslie at Image Plastics.  They received the 5 kg consignment of CAPA from Sebastien early this morning! 

Now to see when Jim is going to be able to schedule a few hours on his filament extruder to get the job done.  He said that he'd let me know as soon as he got the polymer in-hand.  I expect we'll hear something next week some time.

• Adrian Bowyer
        Adrian Bowyer
        2006-09-29

Planning a big spool holder on top of ARNIE in anticipation...

• plaasjaapie
          plaasjaapie
          2006-09-29

It's going to be interesting to see what sort of coiling radius 3 mm CAPA requires.

• The 3mm filament I have seems fairly happy to spool at a diameter of around 80mm or more.

At 80mm its under a little tension and if you leave it that way it takes on some curvature, but I don't think that would be a problem.

Something around 80mm might be a good inner diameter for the spool.

• plaasjaapie
              plaasjaapie
              2006-09-29

is that in CAPA or something else?

• Yes, CAPA

• plaasjaapie
      plaasjaapie
      2006-09-29

make it yourself?  I seem to remember your talking some months ago about organising getting some filament made.

• Yeah.  It's made by a rolling process similar to the one Adrian originally posted with a few modifications.  I can currently only produce filaments up to around 600mm with good dimensional accuracy.  My filament is roughly around 2.85mm +/-0.1mm 95% of the time.  Any given piece is accurate along its length to about +/-0.05mm 95% of the time. 600mm is long enough that you can wind it on something, but it doesn't make for much of a spool :)

• plaasjaapie
        plaasjaapie
        2006-09-29

Yeah, that's been more or less my experience, too.

• plaasjaapie
      plaasjaapie
      2006-10-04

The CAPA is on the production floor in the queue waiting to be processed at Image Plastics.  I should have an estimate as to when it will actually  be run later today.