REXXSTART return codes

Help
George
2010-03-04
2013-05-14
  • George
    George
    2010-03-04

I can't find any help with figuring out return codes from REXXSTART.  I'm getting RC=70 on code which works OK with OOREXX (but it has other problems, so I'm trying Regina out).

Surely these must be documented somewhere, otherwise what's the point?  It's like some petty child saying "Nya, Nya, I know what's wrong and I'm not telling you!"

• Mark Hessling
    Mark Hessling
    2010-03-05

Looking in the rexxsaa.h file 70 is BADTYPE, so I'd say you were passing the wrong values to RexxStart(). Looking at your example in comp.lang.rexx (I don't really know Basic) you seem to be passing an RXSTRING by value to ArgList rather than an array of pointers to RXSTRING.  Regina will return RXFUNC_BADTYPE (70) in that case.

• George
    George
    2010-03-06

The default PB action is to pass arguments BYREF.  The same call works fine with OORexx and OOREXX creates a 27 char Return value (the exec simply concatenates the argument 3 times) but the RXSTRING returned by OOREXX seems to have the length correct, but an invalid string pointer.   I was trying Regina to see if it was any better, but got the RC=70 instead.

I hadn't realized the header file had some helpful info like that in it, I'll have to bo browsing.

Regardless, what happened to documentation? We have multi-hundred page REXX manuals, and we can't seem to put the info in the normal RTFM place?    Browsing header files should not be a requirement, otherwise why document the API calls at all?

Thanks for the pointer.
    George