Menu

PMGlobe3 Macro Call Fails

Help
thricipio
2008-09-05
2013-05-14
  • thricipio

thricipio - 2008-09-05

I'm running a little ScreenSaver / Graphics utility written by the creator of the original REXX Interpreter, Mike Cowlishaw.  PMGlobe3 comes with a little macro for querying and returning one's timezone.  When I try to run this macro, I get the following message:
    "Sorry, Rexx is not installed, so Rexx macros cannot be run.  For more information, please try http://…" (website for IBM's object-rexx).

The macro in question has an extension of ".pmg" and I've associated .pmg files with my Regina Rexx installation which is located in the following directory:
    -------------------------------------
    {D:\Utilities\Interpreters\Regina·REXX}

I have the following Environmental Variables set up:
    -------------------------------------
    REGINA_LANG       en
    REGINA_LANG_DIR    D:\Utilities\Interpreters\Regina·REXX

And my Regina·Rexx installation seems to work fine for its originally installed purpose; i.e., to support The Hessling Editor (THE) macros, profiles, etc.

And if I go to the sample macros that come with Regina REXX, they all seem to run just fine.

Also, PMGlobe3 *does* say that REXX versions other than IBM ones should work just fine when used to run PMGlobe3 macros.

So... I'm at a loss as to why this isn't working.  If anyone can make a suggestion or point me in the right direction, that'd be great.

Thanks ahead of time...
    —Thri

• Mark Hessling

Mark Hessling - 2008-09-06

Mike's statement about PMGlobe working with other Rexx interpreter is not completely correct. What it should say is that any other Rexx interpreter that is 100% binary compatible with Object Rexx and provides rexx.dll and rexxapi.dll will work (only Object Rexx and ooRexx).

While Regina supports the SAA API, and PMGlobe uses the SAA API, Regina provides regina.dll.

PMGlobe is built by linking directly with the Object Rexx import libraries which means at run time, PMGlobe expects to load rexx.dll and rexxapi.dll.

If PMGlobe were built with Rexx/Trans, then it would work with Object rxx,ooRexx and Regina)

Cheers, Mark

• thricipio

thricipio - 2008-09-06

Mark-

Thanks for your reply… much appreciated.

My take-away from your response is that there's no way that I'll be able to get the current PMGlobe3 implementation to execute REXX macros using the Regina REXX Interpreter.

The finer points involved in what you're saying is beyond my current skillset... so a follow-on question:
      —–-·-–—–-·-–—–-·-–—
      Would rebuilding PMG (to incorporate Rexx/Trans) involve a significant effort… or would it be a fairly trivial endeavor?

I ask because I wonder if Mike would consider doing this, but I wouldn't even want to ask him, if it would involve anything more than a minimum of time and effort.  I'm sure he has bigger fish to fry.  On the other hand, PMG has been around for a long time, and he might have a certain affection for this little utility.  I know *I* have quite alot!

In any case, thanks again for your response.

And of course... thanks so much for THE.  I'm sure there's a lot of us current and/or former CMS/Xedit users who really appreciate it.

Regards,
      —Thri

• Robert A "Bob" Cruz

Let me suggest that the simplest solution is to download and install ooRexx.  I find that it coexists with Regina just fine.

Enjoy!
      RAC

• thricipio

thricipio - 2008-09-07

Is ooRexx free?

—Thri

• thricipio

thricipio - 2008-09-07

Whoops… you can ignore that last question.  I went here . . .
      http://www.oorexx.org/download.html
      . . . and found what I need, with no charge!

I think I'd foolishly thought that ooRexx was the same thing as IBM's Object Rexx, and assumed my old employer wouldn't be giving it away.

But now I've downloaded ooRexx (<ooRexx320-1.exe>) and will install it shortly. I'll take your word about its smooth coexistance with Regina REXX, and will assume this means there will be no conflicts with The Hessling Editor as well.

Thanks for your suggestion.  I think it's the best way to proceed.

Regards,
      —Thri

• Robert A "Bob" Cruz

In response to:

"I think I'd foolishly thought that ooRexx was the same thing as IBM's Object Rexx, and assumed my old employer wouldn't be giving it away."

Well, actually, they are kind of the same.  At the point where our old employer decided to no longer support Object Rexx as a program product, they uncharacteristically chose to donate the source code to an open-source project.  The result of that project is ooRexx, which is free.  That way, when they gave up the income and expenses for Object Rexx, the software could live on.

• thricipio

thricipio - 2008-09-07

Looks like my last question is better posted in another place: http://tinyurl.com/5fycef — hopefully, I'll get a definitive answer there.

Thanks again for all the help.
      —Thri

• thricipio

thricipio - 2008-09-08

In response to:
      —–-·-–—–-·-–—–-·-–—–-·-–—–-·-–—
      "At the point where our old employer decided to no longer support Object Rexx as a program product, they uncharacteristically chose to donate the source code to an open-source project. The result of that project is ooRexx"

Uncharacteristically, indeed! And interesting. And, pretty cool, actually!

Thanks for the info... and the help.

Regards,
      —Thri