Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Booting FreeDOS on MacBookPro8,3 - "No bootable device" error

George
2013-02-19
2013-03-03
  • George
    George
    2013-02-19

Anyone know if there's something special I need to do to boot into FreeDOS? (I just upgraded from rEFIt which had the same problem.) I'm able to boot into Linux from a USB stick without any problems. But, using the FreeDOS 1.1 disk image (written with dd to the same stick - from scratch overwriting Linux) I can't get FreeDOS to boot. I get an error that states "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" and it's just stuck there on that screen.

FYI: I installed rEFInd 0.6.7 using the plain install.sh method. The stick was re-partitioned in Disk Utility in OS X 10.8.3 with a single FAT partition and a Master Boot Record layout. Upon booting and pressing <Option Alt=""> I can see the FreeDOS icon on the selection screen. When I select it, the Boot Camp splash screen displays for about 10 seconds. Then it goes to a plain text screen with the above error message. At that point the system is unresponsive and I'm forced to power down by holding the power button for 5 seconds.

Any thoughts? Do I need to manually tweak the configuration from within Mac OS X?

Last edit: George 2013-02-19
  • Try booting the FreeDOS flash drive on a PC rather than a Mac. The "no bootable device" message sounds like what you'd get if the boot loader was not written to the MBR or PBR, and if so, it won't be bootable on anything.