Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Problems installing Tails on a MBP 7,1 (OSX Mountain Lion)

stealthetc
2013-10-13
2013-10-23
  • stealthetc
    stealthetc
    2013-10-13

Ok...so I'm not that familiar with stuff like this and I've really just followed this guide: https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/manual_usb_installation/mac/index.en.html

After finishing all the steps I tried to start Tails but it doesn't work.

When I press opt during startup I get to a screen where I can make two choices...I choose to boot from EFI-something, I think this is correct but again I don't really know what EFI is even though I have read a little about it. Anyways...then I get to the refind screen and click on the flash alternative (boot from USB) and wait for a few seconds...

All of a sudden I get a lot of errors!

Starting legacy loader
    Using load option 'USB'
    Error: Not Found returned from legacy loader
    Error: Not found from LocateDevicePath
    Error: Load error while (reopening) our installation volume.
    The firmware refused to boot from the selected volume. Note that external hard drives are not well-supported by Apple's firmware for legacy OS booting.

That's what it looks like. I would very much appreciate if someone could enlighten me re what the problem(s) is.

I saw this in another thread and thought that maybe I need to make a bootable partition swell?

"I did it! I had to re-sync the partition tables with rEFIt (I think it uses gptsync) and then I had to reinstall grub to the internal boot partition I created (not the one Mac OS X uses.) When I boot the Mac and hold option, it shows me "Windows" which is my internal boot partition. The boot partition now boots to the external HD, so everything is working. I'm actually on links right now compling gnome-light in my iMac Gentoo."

Thanks in advance... :-)

• I'm afraid I've never used Tails, so I'm not sure how its boot medium is set up. The advice you quoted to "re-sync the partition tables" means that you may need to create or update the hybrid MBR on the Tails disk. You can do this with gdisk or by using gptsync. The former is a program for Linux and OS X; the latter is an EFI program that comes with both rEFIt and newer versions of rEFInd.