RIS import: probleme with fistnames

larmarange
2009-04-22
2013-05-28
  • larmarange
    larmarange
    2009-04-22

With refbase 0.9.5, when importing RIS record with Firts Name and Last Name like in this exemple :

A1  - Name,Firtsname

only initial of the firtsname is imported in Refbase :  Name, F.

So you have to edit the imported reference to specify the complete firstname. Is it possible that refabse import the complete firstname ?

Best regards

PS : please be indulgent with my english (I'm French). ;-p

• > Is it possible that refabse import the complete firstname ?

Yes, that's possible, though there isn't currently an appropriate setting in 'initialize/ini.inc.php'. To tell refbase to maintain full given names, open file 'includes/import.inc.php' in a text editor, find all occurrences of

$shortenGivenNames = true;

and set them all to:

$shortenGivenNames = false;

That said, please note that in your database, you should stick to either fully written given names OR initials. If you mix these, records won't get sorted correctly on citation output. This was also discussed in this forum post:

https://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=6225565

HTH, Matthias

• larmarange
      larmarange
      2009-04-22

Ok

Thank you for the information.
      just one question (it's not writtent in the other post).

Why records won't  get sorted correctly on citation outpout ?

Do you mean the sort of the authors inside citations ?
      Do you mean the sort of references by author ?

Thanks

• > Why records won't get sorted correctly on citation outpout ?
      >
      > Do you mean the sort of the authors inside citations ?
      > Do you mean the sort of references by author ?

The latter. Say you have 5 reference records for papers/books written by the same author (named, say, "Paul Miller"). If three of them have the author stored as "Miller, Paul", and the other two have "Miller, P.", then these latter two references will sort differently compared to the first three.

refbase has no real author identity management (which is a complicated topic by itself), it just stores (and instructs MySQL to sort on) the author strings. And different strings simply sort differently.

To illustrate this, say you have another reference with an author named "Miller, Pal". When outputting citations sorted by author, that reference would be put between the references of "Miller, P." and "Miller, Paul". This is, of course, incorrect since references from "Miller P." and "Miller, Paul" are essentially by the same person and should be sorted next to each other.

This is why one should stick to either full given names or initials, but not mix them.

HTH, Matthias

• Daniel Becker
      Daniel Becker
      2009-06-25

Hi - I tried the shortenGivenNames trick above, but it didn't work for me.

The file I am importing is in ris-format. It contains the full names. but after the import, the names are abbreviated.

Daniel

• Hi Daniel,

are you sure that you've set ALL occurrences of variable '$shortenGivenNames' in file 'includes/import.inc.php' to false?

In order to keep full names when importing RIS files with refbase-0.9.5, line 889 in 'import.inc.php' must be set to:

$shortenGivenNames = false;

Let us know if you still can't get it working.

Matthias

• Daniel Becker
        Daniel Becker
        2009-06-26

Hallo - I just checked again. line 889 reads $shortenGivenNames = false;

It's not urgent :-)

Daniel

• HI Daniel,

> I just checked again. line 889 reads $shortenGivenNames = false;

Well, then it should work... If this isn't the case for you, I'd need you to send me your 'import.inc.php' file as well as the RIS data you're trying to import. Please send them (as a .zip archive) to msteffens -at- refbase -dot- net and I'll try to look into it.

Also, did you do any other modifications to the refbase code?

Thanks, Matthias

• Daniel Becker
      Daniel Becker
      2009-06-26

Sorry for the noise. I just noted that everything is fine.
      In the citation view, the names are abbreviated. But in the detail view, they are not. So: The solution Matthias posted above works perfectly!

Daniel

• Hi Daniel, glad to hear it's working for you now.

If you keep variable '$shortenGivenNames' set to false, please make sure that you understand the implications for sorting of author/editor names (discussed earlier in this thread).

Best regards, Matthias

• Daniel Becker
        Daniel Becker
        2009-06-26

Hallo Matthias,

yes I am aware of that. We try to get the full names in the first place, wherever possible, in our bibtex-file that is always our backup.

In case users complain, we can switch back to the default behaviour. But my guess is that users prefer export-files with full names, even at the price of sorting on the website that is screwed up a bit.

Best,
        Daniel