MEDICAL CITATION IMPORT & EXPORT

2004-08-28
2004-09-17
  • Dr Frank Stitt
    Dr Frank Stitt
    2004-08-28

Is anybody working on importing PubMed/Medline citations from the National Library of Medicine's entrez database?  There is a tagged format and an XML one as well. Perhaps there already is a conversion filter.
    For export, the Vancouver format used by all major medical journals would be ideal. There is a freeware package called Ramref that does the job on a WIN platform but of course the database is not shareable. Since there are millions of citations in PubMed and thousands of users this would be very popular in the biomedical arena.
    (Dr) Frank Stitt, Sydney Australia

• Bibutils 2 does have a medline has a medline importer/exporter.  This older version doesn't use MODS, but I imagine that Chris Putnam will rewrite them.  Refbase still doesn't have MODS export/import, but that is where it is heading.
      --Rick

• Bibutils 2[1] does have a medline importer/exporter.  This older version doesn't use MODS, but I imagine that Chris Putnam will eventually rewrite these filters to support MODS.

Refbase still doesn't have MODS export/import, but that is where it is heading.

--Rick

[1]http://www.scripps.edu/~cdputnam/software/bibutils/bibutils.html

• Hi Frank,

I did have some email conversation with Chris Putnam, recently, and he confirmed that future versions of bibutils will again support the Medline ('med2xml') and ISI Web of Science ('isi2xml') formats.

Regards, Matthias

• I have used Unix Refer since 1982 (I had one of the first Bell Labs V7 licenses). I then acquired BIBIX from UC San Francisco (interestingly written by another doctor).
      When I found out that Refbase did not support a range of filters or batch import I (reluctantly) acquired Biblioscape, which has a huge range of features BUT it is WIN only. Given the number of scholars and students worldwide I am just amazed at this deficit in the academic space. Refbase has a big opportunity here and it is too bad that it is a volunteer effort. Give us a good Web-based (LAMP) citation manager! FWS